WH14NS40 "Boot" can't be upgraded

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
plshelp

WH14NS40 "Boot" can't be upgraded

Post by plshelp »

Hi Folks,

I just swapped out my dvd writer for this lg bluray writer and I'm trying to update the firmware of my WH14NS40 (2013), because it is not being seen as a bluray drive/writer by Windows as it sees the drive as a dvd/cdrw. Power2go13 fails seeing it as a burner altogether (burner not available or no rights to access). I tried all of the current firmware on the LG site, but after a reboot, I am still seeing the "boot" revision instead of the version that was installed.

The SDF tool will allow me to choose the correct firmware (v1.02), but it can't be read or written due to the MT1959 platform missing.

This drive does not seem to want to cooperate. I am at a loss and need your help.

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: BOOT
tikifire

Re: WH14NS40 "Boot" can't be upgraded

Post by tikifire »

I'm having a similar problem with the same year and model drive. I was able to change the firmware using the older sdf tool but now it's showing "boot", the blue light just flashes a couple of times in a row every few seconds and won't open.

I've tried recovery but that doesn't do anything when I hit start. I've also tried doing it manually through commands and just get error codes.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide makes pretty clear that if your drive is from 2015 or older and/or has the MT1939 platform that you should leave it alone. I'm pretty sure the latest versions of the SDFtool try to detect when a user is about to flash a drive that's too old and prevents it, which is probably why you had to use an old version of SDFTool.

The easiest thing to do now is buy a new drive.
tikifire

Post by tikifire »

I was able to get it working again using the asus flasher. Thanks.