BD-RE BU40N just stopped reading UHD & Blu-Ray

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Khaaan

BD-RE BU40N just stopped reading UHD & Blu-Ray

Post by Khaaan »

Hi all, I have owned this BD-RE BU40N for about a year now. I was ripping a movie last night no problem, woke up this morning to do another movie, and now it will no longer ready any UHD or Blu-ray disc. Just get "No Disc" shown. DVD's do work, so it leads me to believe possibly the blue laser doesn't work anymore but the red laser does?

Does this just randomly happen? Its only 1 year old, that seems short life span? Would Flashing it again help solve it?

Attached is the debug log.
MakeMKV_log.txt
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
MartyMcNuts

Re: BD-RE BU40N just stopped reading UHD & Blu-Ray

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Khaaan wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:01 am
Hi all, I have owned this BD-RE BU40N for about a year now. I was ripping a movie last night no problem, woke up this morning to do another movie, and now it will no longer ready any UHD or Blu-ray disc. Just get "No Disc" shown. DVD's do work, so it leads me to believe possibly the blue laser doesn't work anymore but the red laser does?

Does this just randomly happen? Its only 1 year old, that seems short life span? Would Flashing it again help solve it?

Attached is the debug log.

MakeMKV_log.txt
Yeah, sounds like the blue laser might be dead. Try a complete shutdown of drive/system. Wait a few minutes before booting up again. Flashing again generally won't help. Drives aren't the same quality they were a few years ago! These days, if you get a year or so of regular use then that is pretty good.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Khaaan

Re: BD-RE BU40N just stopped reading UHD & Blu-Ray

Post by Khaaan »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:05 am
Yeah, sounds like the blue laser might be dead. Try a complete shutdown of drive/system. Wait a few minutes before booting up again. Flashing again generally won't help. Drives aren't the same quality they were a few years ago! These days, if you get a year or so of regular use then that is pretty good.
Thanks for the info, I will try a shutdown and give it some time. Also thanks for the insight on the lifespan. I guess I am still stuck in my thinking from back in the day when we all hade internal IDE CD-Rom drives and those things (at least the ones I had) were built like a tank.