Flashing a Blueray Drive to enable HD-DVD Support?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
v1p3r_hax

Flashing a Blueray Drive to enable HD-DVD Support?

Post by v1p3r_hax »

Hey everyone, I had a random thought about the HD-DVD format and Blueray drives recently I cant get off my head. So after some reading I found that there were initially drives with support for both Blueray and HD-DVD formats when it was still being produced but was later discontinued and so did its support in newer drives. My question is, is it possible to re-enable that functionality in a newer drive by flashing it with an older Drive's firmware or could you modify the current firmware to enable HD-DVD support? Also am i missing anything that would be a hardware reason as to why it was removed? The reading formats look very similar except for sizing and placement of the lazer. All I'm looking for is just reading for the single and dual layer formats rn. Like, I personally would love to take a deep dive into building or tinkering with the firmware files, but there isn't a whole lot of guides explaining how to tinker with them.
Coopervid

Re: Flashing a Blueray Drive to enable HD-DVD Support?

Post by Coopervid »

Check which drive is compatible and then look on ebay.
sivartk

Post by sivartk »

Cheapest option would be to look for an XBOX HD DVD drive on eBay. They will work under Windows and rip with MakeMKV. (At least it did a few years ago when I finished ripping my HD DVDs.)
Last edited by sivartk on Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bungle

Post by Bungle »

I recently took an hd-dvd capable drive out of one of my pc's and was looking to sell it on USAudio Mart (a GGW-H20L; user name Brocktoon on USAudio Mart) since I have no idea where else I can (minus eBay). If you are interested let me know.