Some information needed

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Paddes

Some information needed

Post by Paddes »

Hello together.

I decided I want to rip my BluRays to make them easier accessible and watch on different devices.
I browsed the board and got some information out of it, but still need some help.
Initially i thaught, this was a walk in the park and did only little research beforehand, and bought a normal BluRay player.
I learned the hard way.

The majority of BluRays i have are normal and 3D once. Only a couple UHD.
I see there is a difference in the devices needed for HD and UHD, but what about 3D? I couldn't find information about that.
Are the requierements more on the side of a normal or an UHD drive? Or is there a specific 3D category (This forum only has a UHD section, so i guess it would fall into either one of the first two cases).

Could you recommend me any devices based on my information? (I know there is a list, but I don't know what kind of device I need yet, based on my usecase).
My focus lies on normal and 3D BluRays, UHDs are optional if I either need the drive anyway for my 3D disks, or if the price difference is not that big. (But it seems ripping UHDs is a lot bigger struggle).

Thanks for your help!
jeffm004

Re: Some information needed

Post by jeffm004 »

I have been using an ASUS BW-16D1HT. In a big box. Works great on UHD on down, should not be a issue with 3D.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Any drive that can read a BluRay can read a 3D BluRay, because the 3D parts are just additional files on the BluRay itself.

Upper ISO is from a 3D movie, it has an additional subdirectory called SSIF at the STREAMS directory with files for all 3D parts. Lower ISO is from the same movie but in 2D, the directory does not exist:
(https://i.imgur.com/yRTbhtb.png in case the image is not displayed)
Paddes

Post by Paddes »

Okay, thank you.

So am I correct with my research that I can use any USB BD drive to rip my BluRays, and the struggle with LibreDrive and flashed firmware on the compatible drives are only required for UHD,
or am I missing something that I am not aware of that I have to check on before purchasing a drive?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

It is partly any BD drive. Those drives with LibreDrive would still be better, because of AACS protection.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18856 describes alot about this.
bluedanes

Post by bluedanes »

If I don’t currently need to rip UHD am I fine with a drive off the shelf? Thinking the BP60NB10. If I ever get a 4k I’ll try and flash it myself.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

bluedanes wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:16 pm
If I don’t currently need to rip UHD am I fine with a drive off the shelf? Thinking the BP60NB10. If I ever get a 4k I’ll try and flash it myself.
Yes.*

* read the link about LibreDrive in Ezatoka's earlier post to understand the corner cases where you might get stuck and need to flash the firmware.