Disc Playback Issues on Verbatim Pioneer Driver

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
asmcom

Re: Disc Playback Issues on Verbatim Pioneer Driver

Post by asmcom »

heatvault14 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:18 am
It took a while, but I was finally able to secure a replacement disc drive from my manufacturer free of charge. Unfortunately on my first test of a UHD disk it froze 40 minutes into playback. This pretty much rules out a hardware fault. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps and solutions that have currently been suggested. I doubt I will find a solution to this problem but just wanted to keep other users having the same issue informed.

Thanks for everyone's help.
This is strange; the problem must be on your computer hardware. The workshop drive we have plays UHD discs perfectly on both our Dell T7910 workstation and our new Dell T7865, AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5975WX and the video card is a AMD Radeon™ Pro W6800, 32 GB. We use VLC 64-bit to test play back.

Normally, we would never play discs directly. The only reason we did this was when we read about your issue. Most of our customers use MakeMKV to make a file that will play on their computer, media play or smart TV.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your hardware issue.

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

asmcom wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:06 am
heatvault14 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:18 am
It took a while, but I was finally able to secure a replacement disc drive from my manufacturer free of charge. Unfortunately on my first test of a UHD disk it froze 40 minutes into playback. This pretty much rules out a hardware fault. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps and solutions that have currently been suggested. I doubt I will find a solution to this problem but just wanted to keep other users having the same issue informed.

Thanks for everyone's help.
This is strange; the problem must be on your computer hardware. The workshop drive we have plays UHD discs perfectly on both our Dell T7910 workstation and our new Dell T7865, AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5975WX and the video card is a AMD Radeon™ Pro W6800, 32 GB. We use VLC 64-bit to test play back.

Normally, we would never play discs directly. The only reason we did this was when we read about your issue. Most of our customers use MakeMKV to make a file that will play on their computer, media play or smart TV.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your hardware issue.

Asmcom
Yeah I know it stumps me, thanks for your help and time though. As I said previously, I have tested the drive on both my PC and laptop and same issue occurs on both. The only commonality between the two systems is that they both use intel CPUs (though different models of course) and they both run Windows 11.
zittrig

Post by zittrig »

Good Morning,

I've the same problem with my 43888 (1.14) all the time I play BD directly. Ripping UHD without the problem, playing DVD directly without the problem.
Some mails between me and the support ..... no solution.

I use licenced POWERDVD 22 Ultra.

The support also adviced to configure some power options, but without solving the issue. I will send it in.

Other USB-Drives oder internal drives with USB-adaptor without any such problem all the time with exactly the same system configuration ...... :roll: Verbatim 43888 seems to be a princess .... :roll:
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

zittrig wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:40 pm
Good Morning,

I've the same problem with my 43888 (1.14) all the time I play BD directly. Ripping UHD without the problem, playing DVD directly without the problem.
Some mails between me and the support ..... no solution.

I use licenced POWERDVD 22 Ultra.

The support also adviced to configure some power options, but without solving the issue. I will send it in.

Other USB-Drives oder internal drives with USB-adaptor without any such problem all the time with exactly the same system configuration ...... :roll: Verbatim 43888 seems to be a princess .... :roll:
Your not going to get direct official playback unless your PC supports sgx.
Just do unofficial playback
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
zittrig

Post by zittrig »

Hi Billycar11, I mean with "BD directly" normal Blu-ray-Discs (1080p), not 4K. The Intel SGX is only needed for 4K directly?

Or have I read the other posts wrong? The movies freezes after a time. Somtimes about 30 Minutes, sometimes after about 60 Minutes ....
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

zittrig wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:04 pm
Hi Billycar11, I mean with "BD directly" normal Blu-ray-Discs (1080p), not 4K. The Intel SGX is only needed for 4K directly?

Or have I read the other posts wrong? The movies freezes after a time. Somtimes about 30 Minutes, sometimes after about 60 Minutes ....
Oh I see thought you were talking 4K
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

zittrig wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:04 pm

Yes this sounds exactly like the problem I've been having. Never tested PowerDVD though. I bought it but once I found out about the intel sgx requirements I refunded the purchase and have used VLC and MPC-HC ever since. I have only tested 1 regular blu-ray but issue still occurred the first time I tested. The inconsistent times also line up with what I've been experiencing. One time I managed to get almost 2 hours in before it froze, other time only 15 minutes.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

for one of my customers this worked turning of usb selective suspending
zittrig

Post by zittrig »

I've done this. Without solving the problem. This was one of the idea from the support. But for me without logical background because by playing a disc, the drive isn't inactive.
zittrig

Post by zittrig »

Oookay, new situation: By watching a BD movie the drive freezed and I thought "ok, let's play the waiting game"...... and after about 10 minutes the drive started by itself, short stuttering and then I watched to the end.

Strange .....
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

asmcom wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:58 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:07 pm
On a dektop I suggest to use a powered USB hub that provides sufficient power all the time.
Good idea Coopervid. This will probably solve the issue. Maybe there is system corruption?

For attention of Heatvault14

Try running CMD as administrator and running this command:

SFC /SCANNOW

one space after SFC

If there was system corruption found, I would consider restore keeping apps and personal settings.

My advise would be to backup to output file and play this instead. Playing from disc is not great solution if you keep having problems.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
We want to update you on our recent interactions with Pioneer and share some information concerning developments regarding the Verbatim 43888 drives.

We initially experienced no issues with the first batch of drives received from Verbatim. However, following a hardware revision and interface changes, we have encountered significant reliability issues. Specifically, we have observed freezing during 4K playback and the 43888 drive model will not function properly with DBpoweramp at all. Multiple drive failures have occurred when backing up large volumes of discs and of course we have swapped the drives out for customers.

Due to these critical problems impacting performance and stability, we've made the decision not to purchase or stock the Verbatim 43888 drives once our existing inventory is depleted. We believe this is the prudent course of action to maintain the quality and reliability standards our customers expect.

UHD Friendly Drive Team
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

However, following a hardware revision and interface changes, we have encountered significant reliability issues.
Can you describe how to identify a Verbatim 43888 drive's "hardware revision" please?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

See this. I don't think you can identify the hardware revision:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33094