just lost entire tv/movie library, questions..

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Shredder1

Re: just lost entire tv/movie library, questions..

Post by Shredder1 »

d00zah wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:31 am
IF they are to be believed... YMMV

New:
hmm, can't find any info on that store.

what about something like this?

you'd just need one 5 part sata power cable from the psu for the drives, and one sata cable to power this sucker. and one sata out.

https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/st521pmint

and then there is one like this that I would just plug into the motherboard. wouldn't look very pretty, but it would work.
https://www.amazon.com/Expansion-Ports- ... C56&sr=8-7
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

IF I understand correctly, the expansion card mounts IN the Copystars Duplicator case, connecting to all the enclosed drives via SATA. Connection to host PC is USB3. Rather specific.

All the cards you're looking at are PCIe > USB (or SATA) controllers which. while you might cobble something together, would probably involve something other than the Copystars Duplicator case.

My interpretation.

edit: https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/st521pmint looks closer, but interfacing to the case is still if-y (without actually examining it).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It really depends on how much you want to install. The Coolgear looks interesting, but requires 2 eSATA ports on the main computer to feed 4 SATA ports in your box. That means a card in the main computer (most don't have eSATA ports).

The Starcom would work for multple drives, but you still have to power them. And the "1 to 5 port" device could require special drivers. I've bought similar devices that couldn't work without drivers that were too old to work with my system. Drat...

To use the original design, you would be looking for a USB3 port on your main computer, and a multi-port USB3 to SATA board for the external "box", with a SATA port for each drive. That would be the simplest way to feed multiple drives into the computer. No special SATA drivers, because each device is "separate".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Shredder1

Post by Shredder1 »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:27 am
It really depends on how much you want to install. The Coolgear looks interesting, but requires 2 eSATA ports on the main computer to feed 4 SATA ports in your box. That means a card in the main computer (most don't have eSATA ports).
I have one e sata port on my media card reader, but adding an extra pci card would be no problem. would that power the coolgear card as well?

If I could put the cool gear into the copy star and make it work that way, it would be perfect. just sit it next too the new windows server and let it run for as long as possible...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

No, the Coolgear has its own power supply, so that's not necessary. You'd only being using the USB for control, which is better for heavy equipment like this. No real load on the computer power supply, either.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Shredder1

Post by Shredder1 »

I think I'm going too give this route a try. the cool gear + copystar and hope it works and saves alot of time. we'll see in a few weeks when I can actually afford it ;)

Shredder1

Post by Shredder1 »

The Disc Copier is in hand. waiting for the e sata card tommorow, and hoping to test it out :).

thankfully, recovering the movies took far less time than I thought.t 100 4k discs and about 100 blu rays in 2 (?) weeks, with two drives. not bad.
also, with this, next time I get a new computer case, I won't ned a 5.25 inch bay anymore.
Shredder1

Post by Shredder1 »

hmm, hooking it up too my card reader e sata does not'ing.

Ordering a PCI port to see if that gets this sucker working.
Attachments
328629412_760092335063093_4381611375933610090_n.jpg
328629412_760092335063093_4381611375933610090_n.jpg (338.4 KiB) Viewed 3032 times