just lost entire tv/movie library, questions..

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Shredder1

just lost entire tv/movie library, questions..

Post by Shredder1 »

So,

thanks too Qnap having a power outage, I have now lost my entire collection and need tore rip EVERYTHING. last time doing it for the first time took about 3 months. ugh.

What's the fastest Rip free drive available? Current drive, a UHD movie takes about an hour. I would also love a case that has JUST 5.25 inch bays. something that I could hook up 5 Blu Ray drives and hook them up to a pc to speed recovery up a bit.

any ideas? thanks.
Woodstock

Re: just lost entire tv/movie library, questions..

Post by Woodstock »

Just a note that my rips took different lengths of time per disk; some rip fast, others take longer.

Pioneer drives are good for ripping everything now, but not especially fast at it, topping out around 8x. The LG drives seem to go as fast as 16x toward the end of rips, if they have adequate power (mainly an external issue), but require reprogramming to enable UHD. Many people run multiple drives, as you plan to, so having at least one Pioneer seems like a good idea. Maybe as a USB device?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cloudyapple

Post by cloudyapple »

Is it always faster for rips, to plug the drive into a separate powered USB?
E.g. for the Archigon, it has a two-headed cable, one for data, the other for power which is optional.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

cloudyapple wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:09 am
Is it always faster for rips, to plug the drive into a separate powered USB?
E.g. for the Archigon, it has a two-headed cable, one for data, the other for power which is optional.
With your Archgon, that is not optional. You should always connect both USB-A ends, otherwise you run the risk of the drive not getting enough power. It may not happen all the time but at any point during a rip the drive could disconnect due to lack of power. A powered USB hub is useful, expecially if your computer's USB ports struggle to supply full power.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
exitguy

Post by exitguy »

Shredder1 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:26 pm
So,

thanks too Qnap having a power outage, I have now lost my entire collection and need tore rip EVERYTHING. last time doing it for the first time took about 3 months. ugh.
So you didn't have any backups from the tone of your post, lesson learnt I hope !!
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

What exactly was roasted on your QNAP? Just because it lost power, it shouldn't destroy the whole filesystem.

And if the PSU of the QNAP was damaged, you still should be able to put the hard disks into a new QNAP? Having a Synology NAS myself, and I bought a UPS just for it, for one with USB connection so the NAS would power down itself it was less than 100 bucks here.
ImCoKeMaN

Post by ImCoKeMaN »

Honestly it is hard to understand a power outage taking out all your data. Likely you could do some sort of recovery on the disks themselves to get most of that back.
Shredder1

Post by Shredder1 »

ImCoKeMaN wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:44 pm
Honestly it is hard to understand a power outage taking out all your data. Likely you could do some sort of recovery on the disks themselves to get most of that back.
Three of the drives came back, both recently reformatted. one with all the data did not. check errors didn't work, nothing worked. ugh. so, I eventually reformatted.

I bought the qNap so I could easily map network drives for copyingand keep my main plex software on it. but I'm not going too trust it again. I just upgraded my main home pc, and turned the old hardware into a windows based server. everything is going on there now, with the QNap as a REAL backup this time
Shredder1

Post by Shredder1 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:14 am
Just a note that my rips took different lengths of time per disk; some rip fast, others take longer.

Pioneer drives are good for ripping everything now, but not especially fast at it, topping out around 8x. The LG drives seem to go as fast as 16x toward the end of rips, if they have adequate power (mainly an external issue), but require reprogramming to enable UHD. Many people run multiple drives, as you plan to, so having at least one Pioneer seems like a good idea. Maybe as a USB device?
I was looking into usb drives... I like the size scale compared to normal 5.25 drives. but the reveiws on them are scaring me away. normal internal 5.25 drives seem more reliable.
Shredder1

Post by Shredder1 »

I tried all the basics like check erros and it came back as bad drive, or something like that. I tried an expensive linux recovery software that I'm awaiting a refund on....that did see all the data, but the data was all messed up. The files in the proper directory wouldn't play, and no amount of fixing would get it too work.

And the files that where not in the proper directory that WOULD play where all messed up.

for example, Lets say I had te entire season of 'The Jetsons' in one folder. all the epsidoes in that folder would not play and be unfixable. yet, if I clicked on a video file in the root of the recovered folder, with a totally different file name, there was a Jetsons episode. but it was only 5 minutes in length, and therefore, unuseable. ugh.

so, now back to trying to increase blu ray read speads so I can speed this up :/.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Shredder1 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:54 pm
Three of the drives came back, both recently reformatted. one with all the data did not. check errors didn't work, nothing worked. ugh. so, I eventually reformatted.
Might consider using a RAID then. I have six disks in my NAS running with RAID6. Sure, I lose some space, but I gain safety over a failing hard disks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

So you didn't have any backups from the tone of your post, lesson learnt I hope !!
Some of us consider the original disks to be the "backup", so losing a drive that has "everything" on it is a bad thing, but it isn't losing everything.
I was looking into usb drives... I like the size scale compared to normal 5.25 drives. but the reveiws on them are scaring me away. normal internal 5.25 drives seem more reliable.
USB drives require power allocation. You DEFINITELY will want some sort of USB hub that can fully-power every drive plugged in to it. USB3 also has more data bandwidth allocated to it, so USB3 devices will help, but... If one of them is USB2, you will limit all of them to USB2 speed unless you have separate USB2 and USB3 ports. [hint: very few USB3 Bluray devices actually talk faster than USB2, because of needing to read the disk]
Shredder1

Post by Shredder1 »

I was reading other threads on this forum and saw this.

if I wanted too go this route, what would I need too get it up and running, other than a few more drives?

https://www.amazon.ca/Copystars-Duplica ... r=8-1&th=1
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The copystar duplicator may work, but the controller card mentioned does not seem to be available. You'd have to check on that.

If you've got to feed it and change the names on things, I found 4 drives was my personal limit for TV series like Star Trek. Movies could be more, because you'd only have to make a few entries for each disk. I do not know the limitation on USB3 for drives, because I haven't tried them. USB2 could handle 4 drives of various speeds, but I wasn't testing for max speed.
Shredder1

Post by Shredder1 »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:35 am
The copystar duplicator may work, but the controller card mentioned does not seem to be available. You'd have to check on that.

If you've got to feed it and change the names on things, I found 4 drives was my personal limit for TV series like Star Trek. Movies could be more, because you'd only have to make a few entries for each disk. I do not know the limitation on USB3 for drives, because I haven't tried them. USB2 could handle 4 drives of various speeds, but I wasn't testing for max speed.
does it have to be that specific one, or cna it be something like this?
https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-5-Po ... C88&sr=1-2

or something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Coolgear-Device- ... B469&psc=1