Do I need a new UHD drive?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
dosel99

Do I need a new UHD drive?

Post by dosel99 »

Story goes: I have a LG WH16NS40. I originally had this in my older computer, which I flashed it to 1.02 with a long time ago and have copied a fair plenty UHD discs from. That computer recently died and I transferred the drive to a intel 12th gen i7 build. I recently just started to try and rip UHD BDs, have been successful with CDs, and I have ran into errors trying to copy using the latest MakeMKV. I'm not sure what can be done, if I need a new drive? I am pulling hash check errors and read errors. Multiple attempts. I mention the 12th gen bc intel removed 4K UHD playback support I guess. But I was under the impression this would only affect playback, and I could still backup the disc and use MakeMKV from the backup. I'm not sure whats happening but I'm willing to accept that I may just need to replace the drive, but I'd prefer not to.
Woodstock

Re: Do I need a new UHD drive?

Post by Woodstock »

Do you want to rip UHD disks? If so, you need a UHD-capable drive. UHD is a different format than regular BD disks. You might be able to have the UHD drive from the old computer hooked up to the new computer. A lot of people do this.

Do you need a fast computer? It would be better, but it isn't required to rip UHD disks. MakeMKV doesn't care, so long as the drive can read it. It won't be very fast, but a lot of that comes down to the computer<->drive connection speed.

When your budget is not limited, the answer is, of course, "YES!!!"

But that's a separate issue. :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Billycar11

Re: Do I need a new UHD drive?

Post by Billycar11 »

dosel99 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:11 pm
Story goes: I have a LG WH16NS40. I originally had this in my older computer, which I flashed it to 1.02 with a long time ago and have copied a fair plenty UHD discs from. That computer recently died and I transferred the drive to a intel 12th gen i7 build. I recently just started to try and rip UHD BDs, have been successful with CDs, and I have ran into errors trying to copy using the latest MakeMKV. I'm not sure what can be done, if I need a new drive? I am pulling hash check errors and read errors. Multiple attempts. I mention the 12th gen bc intel removed 4K UHD playback support I guess. But I was under the impression this would only affect playback, and I could still backup the disc and use MakeMKV from the backup. I'm not sure whats happening but I'm willing to accept that I may just need to replace the drive, but I'd prefer not to.
12th gen wont cause read errors because intel removed the UHD playback support.
do the usual
clean disc with damp very soft lint free micro fiber cloth and dry with another.
replace the problem discs
clean the drive
replace the drive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com