Purchasing advice - full height enclosure vs entire external drive

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
BerMM

Purchasing advice - full height enclosure vs entire external drive

Post by BerMM »

I have a WH14NS40 that I've flashed and works great in my tower. I need a drive for my server too. I have to put the tower in storage until I finish some rearranging and the server doesn't have a 5.25 bay so putting the WH14NS40 into an enclosure is a promising option. Which enclosures are recommended? Will they bottleneck the drive? Are there any external drives I should consider instead (keep in mind I can flash them myself)? TIA!
dcoke22

Re: Purchasing advice - full height enclosure vs entire external drive

Post by dcoke22 »

The Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide includes a list of enclosures.

Personally, I like the OWC Mercury Pro enclosure. I have two of them. But I also have a Pioneer drive in a Vantec enclosure, which works fine. The Pioneer drive is too large to fit in the Mercury Pro enclosure.

None of these will bottleneck the drive.
BerMM

Re: Purchasing advice - full height enclosure vs entire external drive

Post by BerMM »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:31 pm
The Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide includes a list of enclosures.

Personally, I like the OWC Mercury Pro enclosure. I have two of them. But I also have a Pioneer drive in a Vantec enclosure, which works fine. The Pioneer drive is too large to fit in the Mercury Pro enclosure.

None of these will bottleneck the drive.
I'm looking at the following options:
  • NexStar DX2 and existing WH14NS40 for $61
  • BP50NB40 for $70
  • BP60NB10 for $90
  • BU40N and NST-510S3-BK for $91
I like the most expensive one because I can separate the drive and enclosure if it ever suits me plus the small size and lack of power brick are helpful and I can run it with the WH14NS40 if I'm feeling particularly productive. I am however not a fan of the click in-out spindle on mobile drives, though it isn't annoying enough to justify the cost of the slot loading Pioneer.