Messed up my drive trying to flash it, won't eject, but still recognized by Windows

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
hamlet101

Messed up my drive trying to flash it, won't eject, but still recognized by Windows

Post by hamlet101 »

Hi,

Guilty as charged, I obviously didn't do my research before trying to flash following the guide at the top of this forum.

What I'm asking is, is there any hope of fixing the drive? Or do I have to buy a new one?

Drive is an unbranded external USB drive I got on amazon three years ago, amazon ad gave the name 'TOPELEK' but I don't see it there now. Model number on the back is ODP95-SU3 (can see no other useful info written on the drive). MakeMKV reports it as BU40N, this was the firmware I attempted to flash to it. Current state is Windows seems happy with it, MakeMKV recognizes it too, but when I press eject the light just flashes for a few seconds and nothing happens. Tried opening it with a clip and putting a working disc in, and disc does not get recognized.
Billycar11

Re: Messed up my drive trying to flash it, won't eject, but still recognized by Windows

Post by Billycar11 »

hamlet101 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:30 pm
Hi,

Guilty as charged, I obviously didn't do my research before trying to flash following the guide at the top of this forum.

What I'm asking is, is there any hope of fixing the drive? Or do I have to buy a new one?

Drive is an unbranded external USB drive I got on amazon three years ago, amazon ad gave the name 'TOPELEK' but I don't see it there now. Model number on the back is ODP95-SU3 (can see no other useful info written on the drive). MakeMKV reports it as BU40N, this was the firmware I attempted to flash to it. Current state is Windows seems happy with it, MakeMKV recognizes it too, but when I press eject the light just flashes for a few seconds and nothing happens. Tried opening it with a clip and putting a working disc in, and disc does not get recognized.
Likely dead.
But you can take it apart to see the model inside and see if we have the firmware to fix it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
hamlet101

Re: Messed up my drive trying to flash it, won't eject, but still recognized by Windows

Post by hamlet101 »

Thanks, model is ODP95-SU3, but as I understand it internal desktop drives are much better so I might go shopping instead - does one have to buy one of these expensive enclosures for them, or will a £6 SATA to USB 3 cable that I see on ebay do the job?
hamlet101

Post by hamlet101 »

Aha, ripping it open I see it's an HP: BU20N (SO5NT), FW: BU24