Recent issues with LG WH16NS60

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
TheShoe

Recent issues with LG WH16NS60

Post by TheShoe »

Lately this drive (still on 1.00 firmware) has been throwing significant errors in MakeMKV and failing to rip anything. It seemed to coincide with a new SDF download.

Other tools (AnyDVD) work fine with it - both BluRay and UHD, but MakeMKV will no longer rip UHD discs. I think - but have to re-confirm - that standard BluRay discs also are not working through MakeMKV.

Anyone else notice this?

I am also on the latest version of MakeMKV, 1.17.1; the only update I can point to was a note about downloading a new SDF.
dcoke22

Re: Recent issues with LG WH16NS60

Post by dcoke22 »

My WH16NS60 is working fine, although I'm on the 1.02 MK firmware.

Have you tried power cycling the drive? Mine is in a powered external enclosure so I can just unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in again.
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

Will try that next. It's also possible given the heavy use it's just hitting its EOL, although I have old CDROM drives and BluRay drives from decade ago that work fine...
audiom3

Post by audiom3 »

This happened to my LG WH14NS60 drive a few weeks ago and I updated to this drive (rolled it back to v1.00). Fixed almost all of the problem discs I was having issues with. I still have/had a few defective discs which I will replace but happy to be ripping my collection once again. My old WH14 did rip around 3k discs (BD, DVD, CD & UHD). I pulled it apart and cleaned the lenses really well with alcohol but if that doesn't fix it, it lived a good life...