A Few Issues with my WH16NS40 drive

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MissRin

A Few Issues with my WH16NS40 drive

Post by MissRin »

Hi there, long time blu-ray ripper, recent 4k ripper.
I have a WH16NS40 (NS50 for the patch download i dont remember the importance of that) LG drive.
I have been able to rip Akira, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Uncut Gems, Weathering With You, and the first Spider-man all in 4k, but I keep having issues with ripping the wide release Scott Pilgrim vs The World 4k version, and The Martian Extended Edition 4k.
I also have an issue with the sleeping bug whenever I'm alt-tabbed away from makemkv, but I just saw advice that you can fix it by opening and closing the drive so I'll try that, but neither of these discs are having that issue.

Largest issue has been with Scott Pilgrim vs The World, my drive just won't read it, at all. I put it in and it spins with then just a loud drive noise every so often but never appears. Disc looks fine and I have cleaned it, I have since been able to rip other normal blurays and other 4k discs so it probably isn't my drive failing. I got this as a gift though so I can't exactly return it to amazon for a replacement.

For The Martian the disc loads, I was able to rip everything but the main features (theatrical and extended cut), around halfway through either one I will get an error (I am currently ripping it again to get the exact error so that I can post it, but I am publishing this whole post early just because the first one is a bit more important) so if the martian doesnt work THIS time I will make sure to add more info.

I also have an issue before I patched this drive of where windows just doesn't know the name of a new drive, makemkv does it fine, but file explorer and VLC won't change so i have to do a weird load buffering thing to make VLC be able to play the disc but I guess thats unrelated to makemkv
dcoke22

Re: A Few Issues with my WH16NS40 drive

Post by dcoke22 »

It has been my experience that some drives just don't like some discs. I now have 3 optical drives. When my main drive has trouble with a disc, I try one of my other drives. Often (but not always), the disc rips just fine in one of my other drives. When none of my drives work, I finally bother to clean the disc, which usually fixes things. In two instances I can remember, I'd had to replace a disc. Overall, my success rate for ripping has gone up with an additional optical drive.

UHDs are the hardest to rip because the data density is the highest of any optical disc. Some of those UHDs can hold 100GB of data. For perspective, a UHD is the same physical size as a music CD, which holds the equivalent of 700MB of data, approximately 100X less than a UHD.
MissRin

Re: A Few Issues with my WH16NS40 drive

Post by MissRin »

the martian LOADS eventually, my gf was able to get scott pilgrim to be recognized once out of like 20 tries so I guess I will just blame it on the drive and I'll buy a different brand player soon as a secondary option and hope it works