sdftool errors and drive not showing up

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Coopervid

Re: sdftool errors and drive not showing up

Post by Coopervid »

Slow down! Ripping discs isn't an emergency. You need to stop your panic mode and just relax first. Post what Makemkv says about your drive.
speedygonzo5

Post by speedygonzo5 »

that makes no sense but anyways im having these errors any ideas as the disk doesnt look really scratched should be able to read i think

iv tried with bothbd+dumps and without

OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: M42M37B1234
Firmware date: 2118-10-29 19:36
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 46

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: Deadpool
Timestamp: 2016-03-24 14:28:06
Protection: AACS v46, BD+
Data capacity: 43.88 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)
Bus encryption flags: 80

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/02577.m2ts' at offset '13916239872'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '13916239872'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '13916239872'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/02577.m2ts' at offset '13916239872'
Failed to save title 8 to file E:/MKV/Deadpool_t08.mkv
speedygonzo5

Post by speedygonzo5 »

ok well im lost, tried several things any chance theres an issue with the flasher? i used the mkv one should i try the de one? i get pretty much every error there is from what i read OS error Scsi error ect. i have hot plug and play enabled is that an issue?

The disks itself iv had for several years there pretty prestine condition considering finding some on a spinal no idea where the box is has been lost to time but regardless the disks are basicly markless so I'm not sure why isn't working
iv set read error to 20times read
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Info you've posted says 'FW is fine'. The disc is the problem. You seem unwilling to accept that:

"The second thing to remember is that just because a disc can be played successfully in a standalone disc player, it does NOT mean that it can be ripped. Standalone disc players will skip over problematic areas on a disc while MakeMKV needs all information on the disc/track to create an .mkv."

even though you've previously stated you observe 'minor' scratches on this disc. If a cleaning doesn't work, have you tried upping the retry count (longshot) in preferences as the linked topic suggested?

Have you tried other discs? A sample of one is hardly conclusive.
speedygonzo5

Post by speedygonzo5 »

yeah iv done both does the make mkv file work better than the de file? whats the de. firmware for anyways

Also iv noticed the disk spin up to a high speed however it only happens for a few Seconds not sure if this is an indicator of somthing or not

i dont want to flash the drive to much and have somthin go wrong any suggestions for a reasonable read error retry count? got it up to 30 so far i see the the encryption is auto should i be knowing the exact encryption (if so not sure how to do that) also the BD+ dumps is that best left off or is it best left on?

now one thing i shgould not the drive is actualy a wh16ns40 drive with ns60 firmware
also i read this i dont think i used this option just the flasher im wonderin is this nessasary as it was not done when flashing on windows 10 x64though im thinking this is for linux or somthing flash was recent
also i see this error from the beggining
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDSVM/00000.svm' at offset '20971008'

also the OS error, what causes this do i need to reinstall windows?

3. If you have a listed encrypted firmware you must use this command: makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -d “ your drive letter here Example: D”: rawflash enc -i “path to your firmware Example: C:\Users\Billy\Downloads\Downgrade-Enabled-Firmware\Auto-Flash\LG-Desktop-NS60-sleep-fix\WH16NS60-1.02-MK.bin”
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

The DISC is the problem not your drive.

Try cleaning it. Wash with liquid soap and warm water. If that doesn't help use alcohol. If cleaning doesn't help and you have no other drive that has maybe a better error correction strategy you are out of luck.
Last edited by Coopervid on Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

None of this matters anymore. You've successfully flashed the drive w/ the recommended FW NO MAGIC FW will let you read a "damaged" disc, no matter how badly you WANT it.

Aside ('cuz I know it'll gnaw at you ;^)... DE (downgrade enabled) FW was necessary way back when It was the 1st means vendors used to discourage users from messing w/ their drives by setting that flag in the image. In general terms, the next vendor roadblock required a MK patch "(microcode access re-enabled)". This is largely irrelevant & you are just looking for a reason why you aren't getting the results you WANT.

Some drives MIGHT have better success than others. Some users have several different drives/models they cycle thru for problem discs, but sometimes a disc is just unreadable. No matter how pristine a disc may appear to your naked eye, a laser (& MakeMKV) is much more discerning. With increasing data density of formats (DVD<BD<UHD). the likelihood of a bad disc increases. No matter what you WANT, that's the reality of optical disc tech. Even fresh out-of-the-box discs can require cleaning, & old discs may just not be readable for a copy.

You keep asking questions that have been answered in linked topics, etc.. FAQs are written because the same questions have been asked/answered so many times, someone took the time to summarize. Do some careful reading of the info users have already provided you with. If you see something you don't understand, cite the source & concisely explain what confuses you. Be calm, avoid hysteria. You'll have much better results by applying a little focused effort up front.