Can't read AACS VID from disc even with LIbreDrive

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
wuubb

Can't read AACS VID from disc even with LIbreDrive

Post by wuubb »

I have 2 BU40N drives that for the most part have been working fine for ripping. Both are flashed with the 1.03MK firmware per the Ultimate UHD flashing guide and report in MakeMKV as having libredrive enabled.

However, after I started ripping my most recent discs that I bought, all of a sudden I'm getting

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT'
and

Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
errors when trying to rip UHD discs (only UHD discs, regular BR is fine). I even tried with a disc I had previously ripped successfully and it results in the same error, leading me to believe there's definitely something up with the drives themselves.

From what I understand about LibreDrive though, is that it shouldn't matter if host certificates are revoked since MakeMKV can access the disc directly (and indeed, the logs say "Using direct disc access mode"). Every forum post I come across (such as this one) regarding the above error is always "Use a libredrive compatible drive + firmware", but I'm already doing that AFAIK.

To add to the mystery/frustration (however you want to look at it), I am also unable to even make encrypted backups of these discs to try and remove the drive itself from the equation. MakeMKV spits out the same errors as above at the beginning, and then every .m2ts file is reported to be corrupt.

Clearly I've screwed up somehow, I just have no idea what I did wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MakeMKV version: 1.17.1

Drive details (both report the same):

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXX
Firmware date: 2118-10-24 19:34
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Disc details:
Used to work (have already ripped it) but now does not:

Disc Information
Label: ALITA_BATTLE_ANGEL
Timestamp: 2019-05-28 16:01:22
Protection: AACS2.0/C v68
Data capacity: 59.20 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 2
Bus encryption flags: 80
Recently bought disc of same AACS version that also does not work:

Label: HOWTRAINDRAGONTHW_UPK75
Timestamp: 2019-04-04 13:22:45
Protection: AACS2.0/C v68
Data capacity: 84.67 Gb
Number of layers: 3
Recently bought disc with AACS v76 (I suspect this one is the culprit due to the higher version, even though v76 is supported the current MakeMKV version):

Label: SPIDER-MAN_NO_WAY_HOME
Timestamp: 2022-01-20 16:07:34
Protection: AACS2.0/C v76
Data capacity: 75.74 Gb
Number of layers: 3
Billycar11

Re: Can't read AACS VID from disc even with LIbreDrive

Post by Billycar11 »

Most likely a power issue drive reboots then loses libre drive and says that error a bet a few lines above that error you get timeout on logical unit it is very important to post full logs not 1 line
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
jmichaeljaffe

Post by jmichaeljaffe »

I just came across this problem with a Ghostbusters (original) blu ray ... AND SOLVED IT.

I was using an external USB 2.0-connected Blu Ray drive connected via a USB-C -> 4xUSB-3.0 hub.
I disconnected the Blu Ray drive from the hub and connected it directly to the laptop's single USB 3.0 port, and moved my wireless keyboard/mouse dongle from the USB 3.0 port to the USB-C -> 4xUSB 3.0 hub

MakeMKV works fine on the Blu Ray disks now.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jmichaeljaffe wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:51 am
I just came across this problem with a Ghostbusters (original) blu ray ... AND SOLVED IT.

I was using an external USB 2.0-connected Blu Ray drive connected via a USB-C -> 4xUSB-3.0 hub.
I disconnected the Blu Ray drive from the hub and connected it directly to the laptop's single USB 3.0 port, and moved my wireless keyboard/mouse dongle from the USB 3.0 port to the USB-C -> 4xUSB 3.0 hub

MakeMKV works fine on the Blu Ray disks now.
Hubs are no good unless they have their own AC power source.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com