BH16NS55 unable to burn DL BD?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
giofrida

BH16NS55 unable to burn DL BD?

Post by giofrida »

Hello,
I recently bought an LG BH16NS55 with original firmware of version 1.02. As soon as I got the drive I flashed the WH16NS60 1.02MK firmware according to the well-known guide.
Yesterday I bought some "MediaRange" Dual Layer (50GB) Blu-ray discs. I tried to burn two discs with two different ISOs with Imgburn and both failed at some point due to the error "Invalid field in CDB".

Now my question is: did the flashed firmware made my drive unable to successfully burn a disc? Or do you think it is due to bad discs? If that's so, should I try to burn a third disc?

Thank you
MartyMcNuts

Re: BH16NS55 unable to burn DL BD?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

giofrida wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:41 pm
Hello,
I recently bought an LG BH16NS55 with original firmware of version 1.02. As soon as I got the drive I flashed the WH16NS60 1.02MK firmware according to the well-known guide.
Yesterday I bought some "MediaRange" Dual Layer (50GB) Blu-ray discs. I tried to burn two discs with two different ISOs with Imgburn and both failed at some point due to the error "Invalid field in CDB".

Now my question is: did the flashed firmware made my drive unable to successfully burn a disc? Or do you think it is due to bad discs? If that's so, should I try to burn a third disc?

Thank you
LG drives are not good at burning discs. I doubt the firmware flash made any difference. You could flash it back to DE BH16NS55 1.02 and try burning another disc. Then you will know one way or the other. Also, never heard of "MediaRange" brand discs. They may be junk. If you really must burn to disc, then go for something decent like Verbatim. Burning discs is so old school!! LOL
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
giofrida

Post by giofrida »

Thank you for your prompt response.

Yep, these discs may be junk, but they're also very very cheap. Usually I collect original Blu-ray discs, but some editions are really damn expensive and rare in physical format (that's why I want to burn my own discs). Maybe I should just buy a large hard drive to collect those rarities.
I will try another disc with the DE 1.02 firmware. If it fails again, I will definitely return the discs to the store.

EDIT: I made a few more researches on backup discs and...it seems to be just too hard to make blu-ray players to run those discs due to the many protections. I think I'm going to use a hard drive for those films. Therefore, I returned the blank discs. I didn't even try to burn a third one.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

LG drives are lousy burners even with good 50 GB discs like Verbatim. The only good results I have achieved with a Pioneer drive burning at 2x speed. Your decision to store on hard discs is what I also do since quite a while and I refrain from burning to disc since.