More strange behaviors with BU40N Slim Drive

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
ThatOneUnit

More strange behaviors with BU40N Slim Drive

Post by ThatOneUnit »

Hello!

Looking for some advice on troubleshooting and any potential ideas as to what might fix some strange behavior on a BU40N external slim drive when trying to rip DVDs and UHD discs.
If you have any thoughts on troubleshooting please leave them below.
Thanks for your thoughts in advance! :D

Drive Info:
archgon info
archgon info
Archgon Info_small.jpg (498.99 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
slim drive info
slim drive info
Slim Drive Info_small.jpg (1015.6 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
MKV info
MKV info
MKV_info.PNG (29.84 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Strange Behavior:
DVD Issue: Insert DVD into drive; drive spins up to maybe half speed (definitely not full speed); a few seconds of spinning and drive makes three or four sets of quick double ticks/clicks and spins down to a low rpm; drive spins back up to about half speed (same speed as when first inserted) and makes the same quick few sets of double ticks/clicks and spins down to a low rpm; drive does this about a total of (5) times and then stops spinning; no disc is recognized by MKV or Windows 10.

When did this behavior start/what did you do before it started?
--Behavior started recently. Started opening a TV series DVD in MKV -- this took was taking forever (30+minutes) and I hit the 'stop' button in MKV. Took about 30secs-1min to stop 'opening' the DVD. Once opening stopped, MKV popped me on the 'opened' disc menu that had a few options to be ripped. Thought that was odd, but directed the files to the usual rip dump location and hit start. After about 30 seconds no data had been processed/written out (read rate = 0) and the 'remaining time' had gone up to 3 or 4 hours and was climbing -- this is much longer than the typical ~1hr I had seen for other previous TV series discs I had ripped earlier that same day. I hit the 'stop' button, but there was no response from the drive or MKV after about ~1min. In a rush to leave the house and stop this madness, I tried to force close MKV via TaskManager. No such luck as TM would not open. Windows File Explorer even became unresponsive. I decided to shut the PC down as the drive was still spinning at full speed. PC shutdown (soft power off) after a few minutes but the drive was still spinning. Decided to pull it's USB from the PC. Come back later that day to try a different DVD from a different TV series - no luck. This is when the strange behavior started.

Other Notes:
--CD, Bluray, UHD discs all can be read and ripped like normal
--This drive is not new and have ripped a lot of CD, DVD, Bluray, and a few UHD discs.
simonpeterjames

Re: More strange behaviors with BU40N Slim Drive

Post by simonpeterjames »

do you think it might just be the disk, regardless of how new it is?. i have been collecting now, and i have been lucky, but the disk may have structure issues, even if the rest of the series burned successfully. i know this because i have the exact same player as you. just a thought, if all the other disks work. apologies if i have miss read the question :D
Billycar11

Re: More strange behaviors with BU40N Slim Drive

Post by Billycar11 »

Likely the disc
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com