Seeking Advice with my Pioneer BDR-212UBK

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
JKTech

Seeking Advice with my Pioneer BDR-212UBK

Post by JKTech »

Should I be flashing my drive?

I built a new computer and installed a Pioneer BDR-212UBK.

It works great for data file archiving and listening to CDs, but when I try to watch a DVD or Bluray in VLC, I get audio but no video. I only see a single frame.

I can click around to various time codes and it will just show that frame and keep playing audio.

From what I've read here it seems that it's because of the encryption keys/DRM and having a controlled firmware.

I tried using MakeMKV and even though my drive does register as a LibreDrive, when I rip a DVD, I still cannot watch the file properly in VLC (same issue as above - again, I assume it's because VLC doesn't have all the info to watch protected content?)

I was able to successfully rip using Handbrake and then watch the digital file, but I'd really like to be able to just put the disc in the drive and watch my movies that way.

Should I be flashing my drive's firmware?

And if so, which firmware should I be using?

I've searched around on the site and as tech savvy as I am, I have to be honest, I still find the process intimidating and a little confusing.

And the last thing I'd want to do is brick my (very expensive) drive.

For reference, I've attached my drive's info from MakeMKV.
mmkv.PNG
mmkv.PNG (39.16 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
Thank you for your help!
JKTech

Re: Seeking Advice with my Pioneer BDR-212UBK

Post by JKTech »

I don't know if this is important but I'll add to this in saying that I've intentionally not updated the firmware on the drive or installed any of the official software for it with the intention of flashing it if required to unlock full functionality.

Will custom firmware let me use any software I want (VLC) to view my DVD/Blurays in my Pioneer BDR-212UBK?

Thanks again for taking the time to read and comment with your advice!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Pioneer drives do not require updated firmware. Your status screen point this out. It's only the non-Pioneer drives that need changes, if you're trying to access UHD disks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
JKTech

Post by JKTech »

Thanks for the response!

I do understand that it's not required since MakeMKV is telling me that LibreDrive is active. However, the content that I rip with LibreDrive active isn't able to play in my media player (VLC).

So is this media player issue, or is it a drive issue? Is it not playing because of the drive's firmware or because of the media player?

Would flashing custom firmware on the drive allow me to put in a DVD or bluray and watch it in VLC/rip without any issues?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

VLC in a recent (last few years) version should be able to play anything that MakeMKV can rip. That isn't a LibreDrive issue.

Does VLC open a window on your screen? I've had it pointed at a screen that was not there before, and it would do everything but display the window, just couldn't get the screen display. Finally had to force the issue with VLC... which I can't remember how to do right now. But if you're getting a window displayed, that isn't the problem.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

JKTech wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:55 pm
Thanks for the response!

I do understand that it's not required since MakeMKV is telling me that LibreDrive is active. However, the content that I rip with LibreDrive active isn't able to play in my media player (VLC).

So is this media player issue, or is it a drive issue? Is it not playing because of the drive's firmware or because of the media player?

Would flashing custom firmware on the drive allow me to put in a DVD or bluray and watch it in VLC/rip without any issues?
The drive / firmware is not your problem. Your player &/or system is. Try a different player such as MPC-HC. It plays anything & everything I have ripped.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

JKTech wrote:
Thanks for the response!

What's your full PC specs
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

JKTech wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:01 am
I don't know if this is important but I'll add to this in saying that I've intentionally not updated the firmware on the drive or installed any of the official software for it with the intention of flashing it if required to unlock full functionality.

Will custom firmware let me use any software I want (VLC) to view my DVD/Blurays in my Pioneer BDR-212UBK?

Have you completed the integration of MakeMKV with the video players as described in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7009 and viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7008 ?
JKTech

Post by JKTech »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:50 am
VLC in a recent (last few years) version should be able to play anything that MakeMKV can rip. That isn't a LibreDrive issue.

Does VLC open a window on your screen? I've had it pointed at a screen that was not there before, and it would do everything but display the window, just couldn't get the screen display. Finally had to force the issue with VLC... which I can't remember how to do right now. But if you're getting a window displayed, that isn't the problem.
Yes it opens just fine and plays other files without a problem. I'm starting to believe that this is an issue with VLC though because I was able to rip with handbrake and watch in VLC, but not rip with MakeMKV and watch in VLC so my guess is that MakeMKV and Handbrake are dealing with the encryption stuff differently and perhaps Handbrake is removing it completely while MakeMKV is maintaining this data?
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:55 am
JKTech wrote:
Thanks for the response!

The drive / firmware is not your problem. Your player &/or system is. Try a different player such as MPC-HC. It plays anything & everything I have ripped.
I tried this out! MPC-HC plays the MakeMKV rips totally fine! It also plays my optical discs without issue! So is this a DRM/encryption issue and the 2 players are handling them differently? As I mentioned above Handbrake and MakeMKV rips were both treated differently in VLC.
Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:11 am
JKTech wrote:
Thanks for the response!

What's your full PC specs
Ryzen 9 5900x
32GB of RAM
NVIDIA 3080
Windows 10

jinx100 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:32 pm
JKTech wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:01 am

Have you completed the integration of MakeMKV with the video players as described in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7009 and viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7008 ?
I activated all of the checks under Integration. Is there more that I need to do on Win10?
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

Can you rip a BR disc to an .mkv file with MakeMKV and then play that file with VLC? That would show that both programs are functional.
JKTech

Post by JKTech »

I can rip from MakeMKV but it doesn't play properly in VLC even with the integration features of MakeMKV turned on.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

If you can't play a .mkv file with VLC then there is a problem with your VLC program. Maybe re-install the latest stable version.