New Build - And curious what drivers work with MKV 4k and blue ray

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Kyioto

New Build - And curious what drivers work with MKV 4k and blue ray

Post by Kyioto »

I am putting together a new build and since I couldn't find a good case with a 5.25 bay anymore.
I was curious on what the recommendations were for the few drive options out there?
I am currently using Blu ray Discs mostly right now mostly but would also like to add 4K option
if possible since I will have more room for additional storage later on. I didn't know if I could
the traditional 5.25 drive route and if I would then need to get an enclosure or if there was a
good standalone external writer/reader for 4k/blu ray that works with MKV.

Build is a AMD 5900X, 32 GB RAM, EVGA FTWA Ultra 12 GB and a ASUS AMD 4 X570-3 Gaming Wifi motherboard
in a Fractal Meshify 2 XL case.
d00zah

Re: New Build - And curious what drivers work with MKV 4k and blue ray

Post by d00zah »

The 1st post of the Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2022 lists all the recommended drives/enclosures/etc. & IF you find it at all overwhelming, the sellers of the Drives for sale, Flashing Services, where to buy... subforum can be incredibly helpful.
Kyioto

Post by Kyioto »

Understood, however I saw it was around 3 years old and didn't know if this process and models have been updated at all as to which solutions work with windows 11 etc and if any of the drives require Intel over AMD etc
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Note the ",,, Updated 2022" part. :D It's meticulously maintained & current.

ATAPI drives are generic... OS agnostic. Pioneer drives are most expensive, but considered most reliable, followed by BU40.

As I understand it, unless you intended to directly play UHD discs using an "official" SW player like PowerDVD. those requirements are meaningless (& discussed at length elsewhere in the forums). Latest Intel platforms drop this support entirely IIRC.
Kyioto

Post by Kyioto »

Thanks. Wish I could use the Pioneer drive but looks like from the manufacturer's site 4K requires Intel boards and CPUS and won't work on AMD.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Kyioto wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:55 am
Thanks. Wish I could use the Pioneer drive but looks like from the manufacturer's site 4K requires Intel boards and CPUS and won't work on AMD.
Nothing stopping you from using ANY of those drives. Strict INTEL/HDMI/GPU requirements only apply if...
d00zah wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:32 am
As I understand it, unless you intended to directly play UHD discs using an "official" SW player like PowerDVD. those requirements are meaningless (& discussed at length elsewhere in the forums). Latest Intel platforms drop this support entirely IIRC.
I scanned the MKV file processing and playback forum for something w/ more detail, but nothing jumped out. Ripped content plays on most recent HW. Were you intending direct disc play?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Kyioto wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:55 am
going to have to add tis to guide you dont need intel sgx or an intel cpu for any of these drives to rip and unofficaly play them with makemkv we are all tired of hearing it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Kyioto

Post by Kyioto »

I would like to at least be able to play the disc on the machine as well just incase there is an issue in the playback file to trouble shoot if its the disc or the file
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Kyioto wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:41 am
I would like to at least be able to play the disc on the machine as well just incase there is an issue in the playback file to trouble shoot if its the disc or the file
Use any 'unofficial'' SW player (VLC, MPC, etc) & nothing will stop you. The strict HW requirements are only meaningful IF the playback software (like PowerDVD) enforces it. Most will not.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27105&sid=098d5ad0d ... 6d8aaaf6e3

https://www.makemkv.com/libmmbd/