Possibly bricked my drive (BP50NB40, SVC-NB40)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
AdasTheAxe

Possibly bricked my drive (BP50NB40, SVC-NB40)

Post by AdasTheAxe »

I got my BP50NB40 today and decided to try to upgrade it to be UHD compatible. I read the guide a few times before I began, but I clearly missed a few things, because now it seems I've bricked my drive. I used SDFtool to flash "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.03-NM00800-212005070917.bin" to the drive, not realizing that it said "NB50" and not "NB40." Now my drive won't open - when I push the button, the light just flashes. I've tried flashing other firmware onto the drive, and I've tried the recovery tool in SDFtool (though I'm not sure I did it right.) I've had no luck with either, it seems the 1.03 firmware is stuck on there. I'm not sure what my next step should be - I understand that something can be done using DOSFlash, but I'm not sure what that process is. Is my drive completely bricked, or is there anything I can do? I'm a fairly advanced computer user so if any option exists, I'm willing to give it a shot. At this point, I'll be happy to just get the drive working again, let alone getting it to read UHD.
AdasTheAxe

Re: Possibly bricked my drive (BP50NB40, SVC-NB40)

Post by AdasTheAxe »

An update: I went through the steps in the Ultimate Flashing Guide and successfully got the BP60NB10 1.00 MK firmware on the drive, but it still won't open. Any ideas what I could try?
Chronicler1701

Post by Chronicler1701 »

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Didn't realize that the drive was the SVC: NB40 instead of NB50. I've tried reflashing the firmware to something else, but it doesn't take. I even tried using LG's utility to update the firmware, but it doesn't recognize the drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mandole

Post by mandole »

I have a backup of firmware and this maybe solves your problem. when I disassembled my BP50NB40 external case, I found that there was a model labeled BU20N.
I checked that the BU20N firmware is also available. but the BU20N models are not yet UHD friendly even if they have a mt1959 chip.
BP50NB40-NB40-1.0.zip
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 207 times
capture_02.jpg
capture_02.jpg (51.01 KiB) Viewed 6823 times
If you are not sure if this firmware is correct, open the external case and check
capture_01.jpg
capture_01.jpg (86.3 KiB) Viewed 6823 times
AdasTheAxe

Post by AdasTheAxe »

How would I go about trying to flash this to my drive? The computer doesn't even recognize that it's plugged in. Recovery tool failed when I tried that. When I plug it in and push the tray button, the light flashes but nothing else happens.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

AdasTheAxe wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:48 am
How would I go about trying to flash this to my drive? The computer doesn't even recognize that it's plugged in. Recovery tool failed when I tried that. When I plug it in and push the tray button, the light flashes but nothing else happens.
It's not worth the effort of recovering sorry I have tried a few times on those always a dead end.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
neoof86

Post by neoof86 »

Hi All,

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I seem to have hit the same issue, there was a label on my drive and I did not spot the SVC Code as NB40

I have the same issue of the fact the drive will not now open and appears to be a BU20N inside so I may just be out of luck

The only difference I have is that MakeMKV can see the drive and so can the SDFTool, I did try and restore the firmware dump I did before but not luck with that tool. If there is another I am willing to try! Just a shame as the drive worked perfectly apart from 4K :( Also now lost the way to write some blu rays to back up files

Any help would be greatly appreciated
AdasTheAxe

Post by AdasTheAxe »

Unfortunately I tried everything and was not able to come up with any real results. I ended up replacing my drive :(
neoof86

Post by neoof86 »

Hi

Oh no really!??? I don’t even mind not having UHD just the drive working would be nice but shame if it’s just off to landfill

I was even willing to try other methods but if they don’t work at least we all live and learn, thanks for replying
AdasTheAxe

Post by AdasTheAxe »

Yeah I unfortunately wasn't even able to get the regular blu ray reading to work. I'm not a frequent member here but figured I should let you know - there's not much info out there and people aren't super active here so I figured I might be able to save you some time. I tried various methods but wasn't able to restore the drive to original firmware :(

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope it at least will save you the hassle of digging through the same info that I did.