The Batman 4K UHD not recognized

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
gene9p

The Batman 4K UHD not recognized

Post by gene9p »

When I place the new released 4k UHD in my lg drive, it spins the disc but then says no disc in drive. Even my PC says there is no disc in the drive. Disc plays fine in my 4K player and all other discs work fine with the LG drive just this one. Is a new FW/flash needed for this disc???
Woodstock

Re: The Batman 4K UHD not recognized

Post by Woodstock »

That usually means that either the drive is not responding to control signals (test with a different, known-responding disk in the drive), or the disk isn't readable.

I'd try powering the computer down, power it back up, and try the read again in the latter case.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Some LG drives have issues in reading TL/QL UHD discs (greater than 90 Gb!!).
gene9p

Post by gene9p »

I've restarted the PC ,same results. Disc works fine in Oppo 203 player. I tried a few other 4K discs and the LG drive and PC sees them all. It's just this new disc. This is a first for me as it has handled everything I have thrown at it.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Flash your full size drive to BH16NS60 1.02 and try again. DO NOT if you have a slim drive!!!!!
danol

Post by danol »

Did you ever find a solution for this? Currently have the same problem on a WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.02MK and this is the only disc that wont read.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Worked fine on my BU40N
Try Cleaning the disc and laser
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
gene9p

Post by gene9p »

Still not working...this is the only disc that won't read. I cleaned the disc already..no luck. What laser cleaner do you recommend? This is a pretty new drive but won't hurt to try giving it a clean.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

I recommend taking the drive apart to clean it and using alcohol
Probably just replace the disc at this point and hope the next one works
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

gene9p wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:48 pm
Still not working...this is the only disc that won't read. I cleaned the disc already..no luck. What laser cleaner do you recommend? This is a pretty new drive but won't hurt to try giving it a clean.
Please let us know your cleaning process.
mva5580

Post by mva5580 »

I have a similar, frustrating experience.

The disc DID read for me initially, but it stopped about half way through and now NONE of my discs read. Pretty aggravating. It would appear this disc broke my drive.

Any replacement recommendations?
Last edited by mva5580 on Fri May 27, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gene9p

Post by gene9p »

my buddy has same lg drive, same FW 1.02, no problem ripping his copy...too bad he doesn't live nearby where I can bring him mine. No replacements available, so it's either solve the problem or live with it. Not the end of the world since it's just this disc but I hope there is a cause or solution to be found.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

The main problem on some discs is their weight and the optical calibration, which is, of course,
unique for the specific drive.

For Batman UHD disc someone could try to put a label on the disc increasing weight and try to read it again.

In my own case I have a similar problem with Spiderman - No Way Home. BH16NS40 (crossflashed to WH16NS60 1.03 MK firmware)
reads it but sometimes not, while BH16NS55 (same crossflash of the BH16NS40) always reads it.

As I said before, Triple/Quad Layer discs (many UHD titles) could strain the optical engine and make any further disc to be unreadable.
Thus, ejecting tray many times is not always a valid solution.

Pioneer drive, like BDR-S12UHT, has no problems at all reading any disc, even the stones. Its only limit is the 4x ripping speed, but this
is the best UHD reader so far, even more since MakeMKV libredrive support. :wink:
tandav10

Post by tandav10 »

I found the fix for LG WH14NS40. I had v1.02 firmware on my drive and it would never get past 50%, I don't believe I have had prior issues until this disk. Mind you I don't have the most wide range of ripping new disks.

I followed this guide to flash firmware to WH16NS60 V1.00. Using the SDFtool Flasher (v1.3.3)

viewtopic.php?t=21015

viewtopic.php?t=22896

My rip still failed at 50% but with a speed improvement. I did experience some freeze ups and other bugs like the drive not showing up. I don't know these bugs would be a consistent thing or if it even was the drive itself. Because I then....

updated the firmware WH16NS60 V1.03 "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.03-NM00600-212005081010.bin".

viewtopic.php?t=19113

It works now!!!

Take this as you will. I do not have the knowledge to say this will be a fix for anyone else. I don't know if my rip was just a lucky rip or if its a worse experience in the long haul. (Do you get it yet? DON'T TRUST ME!! ha) I'm only giving information to the risk takers. Hopefully someone else with more experience can add to this. Good luck.
adamin3D

Post by adamin3D »

My LG drive reads the disc just fine, but it's still giving me a dump file. Has anyone been able to actually rip the disc successfully?