WH16NS60 only reads/writes bluray

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
r0guenj

WH16NS60 only reads/writes bluray

Post by r0guenj »

Hi folks,

I have an WH16NS60 that works great for back up, read, and write of bluray discs.

However, I am unable to read, write, or backup anything on dvd/cd media. There are no odd noises or errors seen in windows or in makemkv.

I have tried internally attaching the drive to my desktop, external usb connections to multiple win 10/win 11 pcs, power cycle combinations, different movies, and different media brands.

Non-Bluray media and data discs work fine in my dvd writer. Since I made it through all of my bluray media, I'd like to add the WH16NS60 into the mix to continue with backup of my non-Bluray items.

Does anyone else with the same drive experience the same issue? Or is the drive no longer capable of being used for non-Bluray use?

Thanks for any help or input you may have!
dcoke22

Re: WH16NS60 only reads/writes bluray

Post by dcoke22 »

However, I am unable to read, write, or backup anything on dvd/cd media.
Non-Bluray media and data discs work fine in my dvd writer.
I'm not sure what you mean by these two statements that seemingly contradict one another.

That said, blu-ray optical drives have two lasers in them. A 'red' one for CDs and DVDs and a 'blue' one for blu-rays. It is possible your 'red' laser has died.
r0guenj

Post by r0guenj »

not sure why it was posted twice.

i can only use blu ray media in the drive (burned by the drive and both data and movie discs).

dvd/cd media that is usable in my other non-bluray drives work as expected.

are there any diagnostics that can tell if the dvd laser is inoperable?

im still waiting for a reply from the seller of the drive on what next steps i should take.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The usual diagnostic is to put known working CDs and/or DVDs in the drive. If the drive won't read them (perhaps try several known working discs), but it does read blu-rays, then likely the 'red' laser is dead.
r0guenj

Post by r0guenj »

Got it. Appreciate the update.

I'll see what the seller wants me to do since I have tried all of that.