How to flash LG BU40N for ripping and work with VLC

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
langruh

How to flash LG BU40N for ripping and work with VLC

Post by langruh »

Hello,

sorry if my questions should be too trivial, but I am still at the very beginning with the 4K UHD drive issue.

I have ordered a LG BU40N and would like to rip 4K Blu-rays with it using MakeMKV and also watch 4K Blu-rays on the TV using MakeMKV and VLC.

Unfortunately, I still have almost no idea of the necessary steps.
The only thing I know by now is that there are several types of Blu-ray drives:

- UHD official drives: These drives are not able to work with MakeMKV and they are also not going to work with MakeMKV with any update.

- UHD friendly drives: These drives should work with MakeMKV and VLC but are not able to rip 4K Blu-rays.

- UHD drives with new firmware: These drives are friendly work with MakeMKV and VLC and are able to rip 4K Blu-rays.

Is this correct?

What I don't know now is what do I need to do to flash my new drive so that I can both rip 4K Blu-rays with MakeMKV and also watch the movies from the 4K Blu-ray on the TV using MakeMKV and VLC.

Do I need to flash multiple firmwares?
Do I have to follow a certain order for this?

Many thanks in advance for your help and please excuse me again if my questions should be too simple.
MartyMcNuts

Re: How to flash LG BU40N for ripping and work with VLC

Post by MartyMcNuts »

langruh wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:03 pm
Hello,

sorry if my questions should be too trivial, but I am still at the very beginning with the 4K UHD drive issue.

I have ordered a LG BU40N and would like to rip 4K Blu-rays with it using MakeMKV and also watch 4K Blu-rays on the TV using MakeMKV and VLC.

Unfortunately, I still have almost no idea of the necessary steps.
The only thing I know by now is that there are several types of Blu-ray drives:

- UHD official drives: These drives are not able to work with MakeMKV and they are also not going to work with MakeMKV with any update.

- UHD friendly drives: These drives should work with MakeMKV and VLC but are not able to rip 4K Blu-rays.

- UHD drives with new firmware: These drives are friendly work with MakeMKV and VLC and are able to rip 4K Blu-rays.

Is this correct?

What I don't know now is what do I need to do to flash my new drive so that I can both rip 4K Blu-rays with MakeMKV and also watch the movies from the 4K Blu-ray on the TV using MakeMKV and VLC.

Do I need to flash multiple firmwares?
Do I have to follow a certain order for this?

Many thanks in advance for your help and please excuse me again if my questions should be too simple.
Read the guide: viewtopic.php?p=74718#p74718

Basically all drives listed in the guide will work just fine with MakeMKV and should also work with MakeMKV's VLC integration.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
langruh

Post by langruh »

You are right.

I got the UHD drive LG BU40N with Firmware 1.0 from 2016.
  • Downloaded "New! The all you need firmware pack", "New! GUI SDF tool" and newest version of MakeMKV-Tool
  • Installed MakeMKV to my Virtualbox Win10 client and setup drive to this client (although I have read not to do so)
  • Started MakeMKV one time, registered and closed it
  • Started GUI SDF tool, selected correct firmware for LG BU40N (HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin) and started flashing
  • After finished flashing shut down Virtualbox client system and restarted PC
Now the drive rips first 4K UHD Blu-ray disc with 6x in Virtualbox.

Thank you all for the great work.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

langruh wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:34 am
You are right.

• Downloaded "New! The all you need firmware pack", "New! GUI SDF tool" and newest version of MakeMKV-Tool
  • Installed MakeMKV to my Virtualbox Win10 client and setup drive to this client (although I have read not to do so)
  • Started GUI SDF tool, selected correct firmware for LG BU40N (HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin) and started flashing

You didn't even need to flash it if it was on 1.00, 1.03 is less compatible
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
sizzleweet

Post by sizzleweet »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:23 pm
langruh wrote:
You are right.

How do you know what firmware the drive is when you get it?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

sizzleweet wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:47 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:23 pm
langruh wrote:
You are right.

How do you know what firmware the drive is when you get it?
Makemkv shows in in the drive info section
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com