drives/windows issues ... maybe disc?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Humstuck

drives/windows issues ... maybe disc?

Post by Humstuck »

Hello,

I need some advice I have WH16NS60 flashed 1.00 and I keep having problems with the last 2 LOTR movies extended editions.

I got the package with theatrical and extended, so 9 4k discs in total.

I managed to do the 3 theatrical and the fellowships extended but all of them took multiple tries and the last 2 extended movies are just wearing me down with the tries Im doing.

Here is what happens for most of them.
- Insert disc, windows sees it, I open makemkv.
- It starts the job, after a while the speed goes lower and lower and lower while the time to complete increases and the drive start making weird noises, like its incapable of reading the disc suddenly.
- I tried waiting a long time but nothing changes so now when I see that, I stop the job completely.
- If I try to do it again right away, the disc is not seen by windows/makemkv even if I try to open and close the reader.
- I have to shut down the computer for the disc to be seen again and not even guarantee a successful job.

So I keep having to restart my computer and try again. Any idea what causes that? It is an internal drive.

I tried reading a normal dvd after I couldnt read one of the 4k discs and the dvd was read/detected no problem.
dcoke22

Re: drives/windows issues ... maybe disc?

Post by dcoke22 »

Lots of people have had trouble trying to rip those discs. I think they're triple layer UHDs, which are some of the hardest to read because the data density is so high. The process is very sensitive to the discs being dirty. Try gently cleaning your discs. If you can try using another UHD capable drive.
Humstuck

Post by Humstuck »

Thank you, I will try that. Its reassuring in a way that those are hard to read.

Some development happened between the creation of thread/approval and today I ordered another drive because right now, none of my 4Ks are being seen even in windows.

In the meantime I can watch em in my PS5, just can't back them all up.
3ursch3l

Post by 3ursch3l »

I am having exactly the same issue with ROTK on my BP60. No problems with the first 2 movies, then the last 2 discs refuse to complete. I'm planning to get a new drive and maybe even new discs since cleaning hasn't worked.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

For what its worth, I have 3 different UHD drives I use. Sometimes I run into a disc my 'main' drive won't read. Often when I toss that disc into one of the other drives, it is read without issue. Not always, but often. It has been my experience that some drives just don't like some discs. Twice, however, I've had to get a replacement disc since I just could not get the first copy to rip.

When you have more than one drive MakeMKV can be set in preferences to 'ask for single drive mode' where at startup it'll ask you which drive you want MakeMKV to work with. You can then start a 2nd instance of MakeMKV and pick your other drive. Now you can rip two discs at the same time.