New Asus BW-16D1HT problem with BD-100

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Tullebob

New Asus BW-16D1HT problem with BD-100

Post by Tullebob »

Hi all

Have just purchased a new Asus BW-16D1HT. Have followed the flashing instructions on this site. The drive is flashed fine to FW 3.10MK and works 100% fine with all discs I have put into it - with the very notable exception of BD-100s (e.g., Batman films, Saving Private Ryan, Jaws etc). The story is the same with all of these BD-100s; the drive grinds/stutters/uneven disc reading etc when a disc is inserted into the drive. Most times, the drive will recognise the disc after a while of gridning. If I try to view the BD-100 on VLC, the film will stutter due to uneven disc reading.

To all you experienced dudes - is there ANY HOPE that this drive can properly read BD-100s? If so, which steps do I need to take?

Thanks so much.

EDIT: I have done some more testing. I suspect that the issue is not the drive / fw as such, but rather the specific type of physical disc media in question. I did a test with the 3d blu-ray of ENDGAME (BD-50) - a disc that is notoriously difficult to read on PS4 and other non-dedicated bluray players. And the Asus BW-16D1HT struggled with it. Further, I did a test with Criterions 4kUHD of Citizen Kane -> worked 100% like a charm, with no strange sounds from the drive ect. Just worked like a dream. But extremely annoying that the studios put their films on discs that cannot easily be read by a range of players ;(