LG WH16NS60 and Windows 10 driver issue

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
JoeSeeMkv

LG WH16NS60 and Windows 10 driver issue

Post by JoeSeeMkv »

Hello all and thank you for all helping me Libre my LG WH16NS60. All updated, works fine. My first post at mkv.

My question is do any of you using Windows 10 and this drive have a driver PxHIpa64.sys listed in device manager, DVD/CD-ROM drives, HL-DT BD-RE WH16NS60, Properties, driver, drivers detail, and then this driver listed as the second driver in the list?

I've been banging my head for weeks with trying to eliminate this driver if it's not needed. It interferes with Windows 10 security Core Isolation, memory integrity. I cannot enable this security feature with this driver unless I update or remove it. This driver is real old but apparently used by drive manufacturers still, at least I think and read online. With this drive being plug and play, driver access to the drive is impossible, at least to me. I emailed LG and they wrote back with, well, duh. I can get rid of it but the first go around I had to do a restore and don't want to do that again. Got stupid and did a firmware upgrade, won't do that again but thank you mkv, again.

So my question again, does anyone else have this driver listed? Then, has anyone else ran into this problem? Did you get around the driver, remove it?

I know this isn't a true mkv related topic but in the spirit of my Libre drive and so many forum members using this drive someone beside me surely has seen this issue.

Thank you in advance
MartyMcNuts

Re: LG WH16NS60 and Windows 10 driver issue

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Nope, not in my NS60's driver list.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
hardcore_gamer29

Post by hardcore_gamer29 »

JoeSeeMkv wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:24 pm
Hello all and thank you for all helping me Libre my LG WH16NS60. All updated, works fine. My first post at mkv.

My question is do any of you using Windows 10 and this drive have a driver PxHIpa64.sys listed in device manager, DVD/CD-ROM drives, HL-DT BD-RE WH16NS60, Properties, driver, drivers detail, and then this driver listed as the second driver in the list?

I've been banging my head for weeks with trying to eliminate this driver if it's not needed. It interferes with Windows 10 security Core Isolation, memory integrity. I cannot enable this security feature with this driver unless I update or remove it. This driver is real old but apparently used by drive manufacturers still, at least I think and read online. With this drive being plug and play, driver access to the drive is impossible, at least to me. I emailed LG and they wrote back with, well, duh. I can get rid of it but the first go around I had to do a restore and don't want to do that again. Got stupid and did a firmware upgrade, won't do that again but thank you mkv, again.

So my question again, does anyone else have this driver listed? Then, has anyone else ran into this problem? Did you get around the driver, remove it?

I know this isn't a true mkv related topic but in the spirit of my Libre drive and so many forum members using this drive someone beside me surely has seen this issue.

Thank you in advance
mine shows all this and have no issues
https://i.imgur.com/xMnSkzn.jpg
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

JoeSeeMkv wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:24 pm
https://www.file.net/process/pxhlpa64.sys.html
The process known as Px Engine Device Driver for (version 64-bit Windows, 64-bit (x86-64) Windows) or PxHlpa64 belongs to software PxHelp64 or Roxio Burn by Sonic Solutions (www.sonic.com) or Rovi or Corel (www.corel.com).
Or it could be malware.
JoeSeeMkv

Post by JoeSeeMkv »

Thank you to those that have responded.

I've been down the paths mentioned so far. I use some music recording software and somewhere I read that some DAW software has this. I contacted one of the manufactures, two part DAW software, and they said no. The other is in Germany and I haven't checked with them yet, but I doubt it now.

I think it's nothing more than a typical Windows legacy driver where you install something, remove it, and they put it back from the driver store folder. May have been some old burner software.

Thank you Mkv again. We're all going to have to deal with this in one way or another when Win10 goes away in 3 years and full on 11 by then, especially 11 pro. I'm just prepping now is all.
JoeSeeMkv

Post by JoeSeeMkv »

Update and Fix on the PxHIpa64.sys driver causing Windows 10 security core isolation to not work.

I found out quite by accident that Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 and 2019 have a page on one of their forums describing a fix for the problem installing their software and it bricking computers that have Core Isolation enabled by default when folks buy them. So in my case it was my install of APE 2018 that loaded this driver. Actually, I think in their software some code causes Windows to load this legacy CDRom driver below my Bluray driver.

The fix for those who may come to this post through an Internet search is delete PxHIpa64.sys from the Windows/32 file folder /drivers. You'll find it. Next get rid of PxHIpa64.cat from the Windows/32 folder /CATROOT folder. You'll find it. In my case the .cat file format didn't show at the end of the file name but that didn't matter, delete it.

Once you do this your Bluray drive won't function or show up in you list of drives. Don't panic. Go to this site and do the registry changes spelled out in the thread. It talks about upperfilters and lowerfilters and deleting these two entries. I'm not sure but I think since Adobe said delete the PxHIpa64.cat file it may have deleted one of these registry entries since in my case only the lowerfilters showed and I just deleted that entry.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... ty_causes/

I rebooted and my beautiful LG WH16NS60 was back and fully functional and the bad driver was now gone. Problem of course is remembering to do this again in case you ever have to reinstall Adobe Photo Shop Elements again.

Again, thank you all. Not sure I care about Core Isolation but I'm one of those that just likes everything to work.