Pioneer BDR-UD04

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MrChaz

Pioneer BDR-UD04

Post by MrChaz »

I've got an archgon blu ray drive which is actually a Pioneer BDR-UD04. I have no problem ripping blu rays but not above x 2 speed. I know this is due to the quiet mode but cannot find a way to turn this off. None of the Pioneer utilities seem to cover this model. Can anyone point me in the right direction if this is even possible on this model.
MartyMcNuts

Re: Pioneer BDR-UD04

Post by MartyMcNuts »

MrChaz wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:25 pm
I've got an archgon blu ray drive which is actually a Pioneer BDR-UD04. I have no problem ripping blu rays but not above x 2 speed. I know this is due to the quiet mode but cannot find a way to turn this off. None of the Pioneer utilities seem to cover this model. Can anyone point me in the right direction if this is even possible on this model.
I think there is an option in the Pioneer software to turn it off.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MrChaz

Post by MrChaz »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:02 pm
MrChaz wrote:
Thatis the problem. None of the pioneer utility software seems to cover this model
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

MrChaz wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:21 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
MrChaz wrote:
Thatis the problem. None of the pioneer utility software seems to cover this model
You might be SOL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

MrChaz wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:
MrChaz wrote:
Pioneer drive support has just been added. If you open MakeMKV it should download the latest sdf.bin file and you can now give your Pioneer drive a try. It should have Libredrive enabled and UHD support. I don't know if it will fix your speed issues though...

If it doesn't work, comment in the below thread

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27378
MrChaz

Post by MrChaz »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:21 pm
MrChaz wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Pioneer drive support has just been added. If you open MakeMKV it should download the latest sdf.bin file and you can now give your Pioneer drive a try. It should have Libredrive enabled and UHD support. I don't know if it will fix your speed issues though...

As of today I get the Libredrive info and discs now rip upto x 6. Some are slow but this seems to be disc related

Thanks for your comment
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

MrChaz wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:54 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:21 pm
MrChaz wrote:

As of today I get the Libredrive info and discs now rip upto x 6. Some are slow but this seems to be disc related

Thanks for your comment
Yep, according to the specs, this model's max speed for bluray is 6x and 4x for UHD.
MrChaz

Post by MrChaz »

Ripped about 10 discs up to x 6 then suddenly none will rip above x 2.7
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

MrChaz wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:31 pm
Ripped about 10 discs up to x 6 then suddenly none will rip above x 2.7
Clean them. Your slow ripping discs are dirty.
DaveFlash

Post by DaveFlash »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:28 am
Yep, according to the specs, this model's max speed for bluray is 6x and 4x for UHD.
yup, I just got this drive delivered today, the verbatim slim 43888, which seems to be indeed the PIONEER BD-RW BDR-UD04 and came with firmware 1,14. makemkv at first launch immediately said that libredrive was active for the inserted uhd disc and connected drive. so now it's been ripping It for about 1h10m already for all titles, with about 40 minutes total time remaining (I'm ripping the whole disc of Alita Battle Angel. and yes it is limited to 4X speed with the uhd disc it seems.
DaveFlash

Post by DaveFlash »

is it normal for the second layer to burn faster than the first with BD-R 50's??

my verbatim/pioneer UD04 took more then 1 hour (estimated) to reach 50% in Toast 20 Pro, and now it's about 15~20 minutes-ish further along at 83% burned, also it did seem to stop burning intermittently the the first 50% of the disc, then reading the data back, then resuming, with reporter write speeds dropping back to 1x before returning a few minutes later to either 2x, 3x or 4x, so is this the rumoured hardware verification stage/thing introduced for BD-R's?

ok, spoke to soon, fucking roxio toast 20 pro crashed as 95% done!!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't really burn discs anymore, so I'm just speculating. It wouldn't surprise me that if you're burning say, 35 GB to a dual layer, 50GB blu-ray that it puts 25 GB on the first layer and only 10 GB on the second layer. If the percent-done calculation isn't very smart it might appear like the burning speeds are dramatically different for different layers.

All the reasons I used to burn discs have all been replaced with something else. Out of curiosity, why are you burning discs?
zittrig

Post by zittrig »

With Coopervid's advice, I bought the Verbatim 43888 withe the BDR-UD04. THANKS A LOT!!! :D
The first of my "problem"-4K-BD "The Hobbit: AUJ" is ripped without any problems.
And the drive is silent with a smooth sound and a smooth handling with the disc. 4x speed is hard, but when the result is like it is, I'm happy. For now, the perfect drive for watching DVD/BD and for ripping some discs. For fast ripping, if the disc has no problem with the drive, I'll take my new ASUS 16D1HT, which is ripping right now another of my "problem"-4K-BD "Lord of the rings: TFOTR" in the case, that the ripping will be a success. In that case my LG WH16NS60 will be history....
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

DaveFlash wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:16 pm
is it normal for the second layer to burn faster than the first with BD-R 50's??

my verbatim/pioneer UD04 took more then 1 hour (estimated) to reach 50% in Toast 20 Pro, and now it's about 15~20 minutes-ish further along at 83% burned, also it did seem to stop burning intermittently the the first 50% of the disc, then reading the data back, then resuming, with reporter write speeds dropping back to 1x before returning a few minutes later to either 2x, 3x or 4x, so is this the rumoured hardware verification stage/thing introduced for BD-R's?

ok, spoke to soon, fucking roxio toast 20 pro crashed as 95% done!!
Read this:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/the-lon ... -tl.86133/
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

zittrig wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:26 pm
With Coopervid's advice, I bought the Verbatim 43888 withe the BDR-UD04. THANKS A LOT!!! :D
The first of my "problem"-4K-BD "The Hobbit: AUJ" is ripped without any problems.
And the drive is silent with a smooth sound and a smooth handling with the disc. 4x speed is hard, but when the result is like it is, I'm happy. For now, the perfect drive for watching DVD/BD and for ripping some discs. For fast ripping, if the disc has no problem with the drive, I'll take my new ASUS 16D1HT, which is ripping right now another of my "problem"-4K-BD "Lord of the rings: TFOTR" in the case, that the ripping will be a success. In that case my LG WH16NS60 will be history....
Use the faster drive for unproblematic discs and the Pioneer for the problematic.