High Rip Failure Rate

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
pythonidler

High Rip Failure Rate

Post by pythonidler »

I recently got a new LG WH16NS40 and installed v1.03 S60 MKV firmware on it via SDFtool. MakeMKV confirmed the firmware flashed successfully.

Over the first few weeks, I started ripping Blu-rays and had no issues for the first 20 or so discs that I ripped.

Then one day while I was ripping a disc (can't remember which one specifically), all of a sudden my drive started making a loud noise. That disc ripped successfully and the noise went away on subsequent rips, but ever since then my rip success rate has been pretty low (I'd say about 70%). I've been getting a wide variety of errors in MakeMKV. I've tried flashing new firmware and cleaning the disc - but nothing seems to help.

For those more experienced with ripping - does this sound like a drive issue, or is it something else?
MartyMcNuts

Re: High Rip Failure Rate

Post by MartyMcNuts »

pythonidler wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:09 pm
I recently got a new LG WH16NS40 and installed v1.03 S60 MKV firmware on it via SDFtool. MakeMKV confirmed the firmware flashed successfully.

Over the first few weeks, I started ripping Blu-rays and had no issues for the first 20 or so discs that I ripped.

Then one day while I was ripping a disc (can't remember which one specifically), all of a sudden my drive started making a loud noise. That disc ripped successfully and the noise went away on subsequent rips, but ever since then my rip success rate has been pretty low (I'd say about 70%). I've been getting a wide variety of errors in MakeMKV. I've tried flashing new firmware and cleaning the disc - but nothing seems to help.

For those more experienced with ripping - does this sound like a drive issue, or is it something else?
Don't use NS60 1.03-MK firmware. It is absolute garbage and lots of people have read issues using it. Flash drive to 1.02-MK as it is way way better. Also, sometimes the discs need to be cleaned with soapy water instead of just a cloth.

You really need to show us what errors you are getting to assist in troubleshooting.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
pythonidler

Post by pythonidler »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:10 am

Don't use NS60 1.03-MK firmware. It is absolute garbage and lots of people have read issues using it. Flash drive to 1.02-MK as it is way way better. Also, sometimes the discs need to be cleaned with soapy water instead of just a cloth.

You really need to show us what errors you are getting to assist in troubleshooting.
Thanks for the reply. I took your advice and re-did the discs that were giving me errors using the 1.02 firmware and cleaning the disc if it generated an error. Unfortunately, I was only able to get one to work.

The errors I got were one of these three types:
1. Scsi error – MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
2. OS error – STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR
3. The source file “...” is corrupt or invalid at offset “...”

Any follow-up thoughts?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

pythonidler wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:53 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:10 am

Thanks for the reply. I took your advice and re-did the discs that were giving me errors using the 1.02 firmware and cleaning the disc if it generated an error. Unfortunately, I was only able to get one to work.

The errors I got were one of these three types:
1. Scsi error – MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
2. OS error – STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR
3. The source file “...” is corrupt or invalid at offset “...”

Any follow-up thoughts?
1 & 3 are usually related to an issue with the disc. If cleaning doesn't work, then perhaps a replacement is needed?

Not sure about 2.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
pythonidler

Post by pythonidler »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:49 am
1 & 3 are usually related to an issue with the disc. If cleaning doesn't work, then perhaps a replacement is needed?

Not sure about 2.
To be clear, are you talking about replacing the discs or the drive?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

pythonidler wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:18 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:49 am

Not sure about 2.
To be clear, are you talking about replacing the discs or the drive?
discs