Asus BW-16D1HT slowing down while ripping

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
akse0435

Asus BW-16D1HT slowing down while ripping

Post by akse0435 »

Hi,

I've had this Asus BW-16D1HT drive for about half a year now, and I use it in an USB enclosure.

When I rip discs with Make mkv, either Blu-Rays of UHD Blu-Rays, The drive sometimes either slows Down or stops in the middle of the process, I'm not sure if it stops or just slows Down. It just gets stuck on the same percent, and the timer starts going up insteat of Down. Some times I can resolve it by taking the disc out, reinserting it, and starting Make mkv over Again, but other times I have to take the discs out multible times before it Works, and it allways gets stuck on the same percent.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is something wrong with my drive, or is it just normal?

I flashed the drive to the UHD-compatible firmware a while back, but it had the problem long before it did that, so that can't be the problem, I think.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards:
Aksel Christoffersen
Billycar11

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT slowing down while ripping

Post by Billycar11 »

akse0435 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:31 pm
Hi,

I've had this Asus BW-16D1HT drive for about half a year now, and I use it in an USB enclosure.

When I rip discs with Make mkv, either Blu-Rays of UHD Blu-Rays, The drive sometimes either slows Down or stops in the middle of the process, I'm not sure if it stops or just slows Down. It just gets stuck on the same percent, and the timer starts going up insteat of Down. Some times I can resolve it by taking the disc out, reinserting it, and starting Make mkv over Again, but other times I have to take the discs out multible times before it Works, and it allways gets stuck on the same percent.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is something wrong with my drive, or is it just normal?

I flashed the drive to the UHD-compatible firmware a while back, but it had the problem long before it did that, so that can't be the problem, I think.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards:
Aksel Christoffersen
That's what I call the classic defective Asus behavior.
Slows down almost right in the middle of the rip.
The only thing that may help are
Clean the disc
Replace disc
Clean drive
Replace drive with BU40N
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
akse0435

Post by akse0435 »

Is it that normal for this model to just get deffective after a short period of time? I've only heard posetive reviews about it so fare, and I've really enjoyed it's performence, apart from this. I have another of the exact same model with the exact same USB enclosure, which doesn't appear to have this problem.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I have this drive and it generally works fine for me. Does MakeMKV output any error messages when this happens? Recent versions of MakeMKV can slow down the rip during layer transitions to increase the odds of a successful rip. MakeMKV also slows down if it is having trouble correctly reading data from the disc.
akse0435

Post by akse0435 »

No, it doesn't show any errors as fare as I can see, it just gets stuck on the same percentage, while the timer just starts to go up.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

akse0435 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:25 pm
Is it that normal for this model to just get deffective after a short period of time? I've only heard posetive reviews about it so fare, and I've really enjoyed it's performence, apart from this. I have another of the exact same model with the exact same USB enclosure, which doesn't appear to have this problem.
yeah its normal was probably defective from start and just shows it on some discs. strangely its usually bd66 and not bd100 that you would think is harder to read.
i have had probably 750+ of the desktop drives and when i did the math it was about 25% defective this was from 2018-2020 after that i stopped buying them.
not sure if the new ones are better or worse my guess is they are same.
if they work they are great but if you gat a bad one your always wondering if its a bad disc makemkv bug firmware problem but its just the drive nothing else
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
ddeconin@gmail.com

Post by ddeconin@gmail.com »

Try playing with viewtopic.php?t=22689
Sometimes changing things for a disc helps.
Currently I have: 0=99;U1=-;U2=-;U3=-;B1=99;B2=99;
akse0435

Post by akse0435 »

Problem resolved. I ended up just buying a new BW-16D1HT, and it Works just fine.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

akse0435 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:14 am
Problem resolved. I ended up just buying a new BW-16D1HT, and it Works just fine.
why should have got wh14ns40 its the same and cheaper or bu40n for reliability.
PeterMac

Post by PeterMac »

I have exactly same problem with this Asus BW-16S1HT drive with probably unpatched orginal firmware 3.02 (this what I see information in MakeMKV)
I tried backup Mad Max Fury Road UHD disc and in half disc it stop and MakeMKV can't rip it. I tried copy all files directly from disc to hdd and same problem in half disc speed drops to 0 MB/s.
I ripped previously other UHD discs and was never problem, but also speed drops much and sometimes was very slow.
I tried this Mad Max disc on Pioneer BDR-211 with MakeMKV and ripped it perfectly fine and much faster, also copying files directly to hdd was twice faster on Pioneer drive.
On Asus copying files directly in Windows from disc to HDD was around 8MB/s, on Pioneer ~16MB/s.
What can I do with this Asus drive, maybe it's firmware problems ?
Why here are firmware for this drive for example 3.10MK ? if stock firmware 3.02 can rip UHD discs.
I saw here on forum that this Asus drive should be twice faster in ripping comapre to this BDR-211, but mine is twice slower ? something is not correct.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

PeterMac wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:31 am
I have exactly same problem with this Asus BW-16S1HT drive with probably unpatched orginal firmware 3.02 (this what I see information in MakeMKV)
I tried backup Mad Max Fury Road UHD disc and in half disc it stop and MakeMKV can't rip it. I tried copy all files directly from disc to hdd and same problem in half disc speed drops to 0 MB/s.
I ripped previously other UHD discs and was never problem, but also speed drops much and sometimes was very slow.
I tried this Mad Max disc on Pioneer BDR-211 with MakeMKV and ripped it perfectly fine and much faster, also copying files directly to hdd was twice faster on Pioneer drive.
On Asus copying files directly in Windows from disc to HDD was around 8MB/s, on Pioneer ~16MB/s.
What can I do with this Asus drive, maybe it's firmware problems ?
Why here are firmware for this drive for example 3.10MK ? if stock firmware 3.02 can rip UHD discs.
I saw here on forum that this Asus drive should be twice faster in ripping comapre to this BDR-211, but mine is twice slower ? something is not correct.
Only advice is to clean the laser
Pioneers are my recommend drive now even over the BU40N/BP50/60
PeterMac

Post by PeterMac »

Thank you for anwer, I will try to clean laser very carefully I must check how to do this propely.
Too bad that Pioneer drives are not available to buy anymore in my country :( I wish to buy another one BDR-211 or BDR-212.

For me it's total weird this Asus drive, and why ripping fine to almost half disc, and then speed drops to zero.
Also why is half slower then Pioneer BDR-211. From information on forum here shuold be faster Asus than this Pioneer.
BDR-211UBK Internal 5.25 sata Rip speed 4x BD 66 ~1 Hour BD 100 ~1 hour 35mins
ASUS BW-16D1HT, UHD Friendly Internal 5.25 sata | Rip speed 8x BD 66 ~45 mins BD 100 ~1 hour
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

See the seller's page:

Asmcom ships international, Billy in the US and Marty in Australia.

viewforum.php?f=20
PeterMac

Post by PeterMac »

I'm from Poland :( but thank you anyway!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Asmcom also ships to Poland. Email him.

Or buy the Verbatim 43888. It contains a Pioneer UD04 that works out-of-the box for UHD.

https://www.amazon.pl/s?k=verbatim+4388 ... -doa-p_1_9