Struggling to read UHD on BU40N

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
saiarcot895

Struggling to read UHD on BU40N

Post by saiarcot895 »

With a BU40N with LibreDrive firmware, getting it to successfully start reading a UHD (as in identify the movie and the size of the movie) seems to be 10% or less. The discs don't have any visible scratches, and I've tried multiple times to clean the disc with a microfiber cloth. This is with a sample size of 8 discs, where only 2 discs were successfully read (after multiple attempts).

Is this normal? Or does this indicate a problem with the drive?
Fritti

Re: Struggling to read UHD on BU40N

Post by Fritti »

I also bought a BU40N a couple of weeks ago, flashed it to LibreDrive mode, and even with regular blurays it did not perform at all. I managed to rip 2 out of 10 discs, whereas my ancient iHOS104 managed to rip all of them without a hitch.

I gave up on the unit and now bought a WH16NS60 for UHD ripping purposes. Flashing was again easy. Have not tried UHD discs with it yet but so far it manages the same regular blurays as my iHOS104.

Not sure if this is indicative of a BU40N problem or just bad luck, but in any case it seems that you also need a dose of luck when buying an UHD drive.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

saiarcot895 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:28 am
With a BU40N with LibreDrive firmware, getting it to successfully start reading a UHD (as in identify the movie and the size of the movie) seems to be 10% or less. The discs don't have any visible scratches, and I've tried multiple times to clean the disc with a microfiber cloth. This is with a sample size of 8 discs, where only 2 discs were successfully read (after multiple attempts).

Is this normal? Or does this indicate a problem with the drive?
What errors are you getting timeout on logical unit?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
saiarcot895

Post by saiarcot895 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:12 am
What errors are you getting timeout on logical unit?
There aren't any errors from the OS/MakeMKV (besides that no disc is found), because the drive itself doesn't read the 4K disc, and just tells the OS that there's no disc inserted.

I ended up getting a replacement from the seller, and that's working perfectly (with Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray discs)!