WH14NS40 slow bluray ripping

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Spender

WH14NS40 slow bluray ripping

Post by Spender »

I have a new WH14NS40 (made 2021) that came with firmware 1.05. The first thing I did with it was install the WH16NS16 1.02MK firmware and test out ripping of a UHD bluray, and I was getting between 7-8x on multiple disks. But now I am trying to rip some standard blurays and it seems to be maxing out around 2x. Does this sound unusual for this drive/firmware? Unfortunately I didn't take the chance to test ripping speeds on the stock firmware.
Spender

Re: WH14NS40 slow bluray ripping

Post by Spender »

OK, so last night I ripped several blurays that all ripped around 2x speed. Then tonight I rip another disk and its currently hitting slightly over 5x. Not sure what changed since then. The only difference I can see is I think the other discs were single layer while this looks to be a double layer. :?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

They have a mode if they are having trouble they will slow down it was having trouble reading that disc that's why it went to 2x
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Spender

Post by Spender »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:31 am
They have a mode if they are having trouble they will slow down it was having trouble reading that disc that's why it went to 2x
Strange if that is the case, as all the discs were brand new, just opened.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Which is, in fact, the condition of a LOT of disks that are hard to read.

Chemicals within the packaging have a tendency to migrate to the surface of the disk, leaving a film that is virtually unnoticeable to the human eye, unless you wipe a damp cloth across the disk, and notice the slight difference in reflectivity. Because it is a reflective surface, our eyes focus beyond the surface. But lasers are trying to focus more closely, and they see a hazy surface.

The further you get from the original release date, the worse things get.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging