Will Cross-flashing between ASUS and LG work with AMD Ryzen?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
NapaVizer

Will Cross-flashing between ASUS and LG work with AMD Ryzen?

Post by NapaVizer »

Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of building a PC, and plan to use the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X for my CPU and the ASUS BW-16D1HT for my optical drive. Because I want to be able to run and play Ultra HD 4K Blu-Rays natively (not necessarily rip them...for now), I plan to cross-flash to the WH16NS60 DE 1.00 firmware to fix the sleep bug. Will this work? I ask because reviewers were complaining that the LG WH16NS60's UHD capabilities only work for Intel CPUs (which is why I am getting the ASUS BW-16D1HT in the first place), and I'm worried that I will run into the same problem after crossflashing. I also tried searching the forums about this, but turned up with scant info.
Billycar11

Re: Will Cross-flashing between ASUS and LG work with AMD Ryzen?

Post by Billycar11 »

It will work but just get the cheaper WH14NS40
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

NapaVizer wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:03 pm
… play Ultra HD 4K Blu-Rays natively (not necessarily rip them...for now) …
What, precisely, do you mean by this? If you want to use official UHD software to play UHDs I think that requires both an official UHD drive and an Intel CPU that supports Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX).
NapaVizer

Post by NapaVizer »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:14 pm
NapaVizer wrote:
What, precisely, do you mean by this? If you want to use official UHD software to play UHDs I think that requires both an official UHD drive and an Intel CPU that supports Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX).
I want to be able to load a UHD disc into the drive and play it like I would a DVD, CD, or regular Blu-Ray. While I might burn or rip the discs later on, I don't want to be forced to do a rip whenever I load a new UHD disc.

I'm planning on using either VLC or MPC-HC to play UHD discs since people on the forum say you can do that, so I won't be using the official software.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

NapaVizer wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:08 am
dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:14 pm
NapaVizer wrote:
I want to be able to load a UHD disc into the drive and play it like I would a DVD, CD, or regular Blu-Ray. While I might burn or rip the discs later on, I don't want to be forced to do a rip whenever I load a new UHD disc.

I'm planning on using either VLC or MPC-HC to play UHD discs since people on the forum say you can do that, so I won't be using the official software.
In that case any decent CPU / GPU configuration (HEVC/h265 capable) will work just fine. With unofficial players such as VLC, MPC-HC etc you will need to use either MakeMKV or AnyDVD to decrypt the UHD disc "on-the-fly" when playing.
Last edited by MartyMcNuts on Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

NapaVizer wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:08 am

the bigger question is what gpu do you have then needs to have h,265 decoding for uhd
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Just so it's clear Intel dropped sgx on all future cpu starting with gen 11. As such powerdvd had also dropped support for uhd playback on windows 11, machines with the Intel drivers that remove sgx, or newer gen cpus without sgx. Basically, it's completely useless now without unprotected content.

I know that wasn't the op's intention for playing back... just wanted this info out there. RIP cyberlink. Lol

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

P.s. another awesome option for uhd playback with makemkv support is jriver MC. It's got its own video renderer now that is coming along nicely. Even has menu support. It's a paid software but I use it all the time.

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:10 am
Just so it's clear Intel dropped sgx on all future cpu starting with gen 11. As such powerdvd had also dropped support for uhd playback on windows 11, machines with the Intel drivers that remove sgx, or newer gen cpus without sgx. Basically, it's completely useless now without unprotected content.

I know that wasn't the op's intention for playing back... just wanted this info out there. RIP cyberlink. Lol

wow i knew intel dropped sgx but did not know cyber link completely gave up on UHD what a joke it was a horrible implementation any way though very buggy.
NapaVizer

Post by NapaVizer »

Thank you all for your feedback! I just have a few more questions and comments.
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:09 am

In that case any decent CPU / GPU configuration (HEVC/h265 capable) will work just fine. With unofficial players such as VLC, MPC-HC etc you will need to use either MakeMKV or AnyDVD to decrypt the UHD disc "on-the-fly" when playing.
Does that mean a LG WH16NS60 player would work for AMD, since these players offer a work-around by decrypting on the fly? Or should I just go with either the WH14NS40 or ASUS BW-16D1HT and downgrade to WH16NS60 DE 1.00?

Speaking of ASUS, I've been reading on this forum that crossflashing betwen it and LG it will pretty much permanently disable the ability to burn Blu-Ray discs. Does this always happen, or is it something that only happens to some people? I ask because again while I don't intend to be using it for burning or ripping discs, it's still nice to have that option if I ever decide to.
Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:21 am

the bigger question is what gpu do you have then needs to have h,265 decoding for uhd
I'm using a RTX 3080 (shout out to my friend who managed to reserve me one!). According to this chart by NVIDIA it should support it. Is this true, or not really in practice?
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:13 am
P.s. another awesome option for uhd playback with makemkv support is jriver MC. It's got its own video renderer now that is coming along nicely. Even has menu support. It's a paid software but I use it all the time.
Thanks! I will definitely look into this.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

NapaVizer wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:46 pm
Thank you all for your feedback! I just have a few more questions and comments.
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:09 am

Does that mean a LG WH16NS60 player would work for AMD, since these players offer a work-around by decrypting on the fly? Or should I just go with either the WH14NS40 or ASUS BW-16D1HT and downgrade to WH16NS60 DE 1.00?

Speaking of ASUS, I've been reading on this forum that crossflashing betwen it and LG it will pretty much permanently disable the ability to burn Blu-Ray discs. Does this always happen, or is it something that only happens to some people? I ask because again while I don't intend to be using it for burning or ripping discs, it's still nice to have that option if I ever decide to.
Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:21 am

I'm using a RTX 3080 (shout out to my friend who managed to reserve me one!). According to this chart by NVIDIA it should support it. Is this true, or not really in practice?
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:13 am
Thanks! I will definitely look into this.
RTX3080, no problems. I'm using a RTX 2070 super myself.

Any of the drives you mention can decrypt on the fly using MakeMKV or AnyDVD. No point spending more for the NS60, just get the WH14NS40 and flash it to WH16NS60 firmware.

Yes, the ASUS has issues writing discs when cross-flashed to LG firmware. I wouldn't even bother with the ASUS drive. They are basically a rebadged LG anyway. Just stick with the cheaper WH14NS40.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Billycar11 wrote:
wow i knew intel dropped sgx but did not know cyber link completely gave up on UHD what a joke it was a horrible implementation any way though very buggy.
Yeah I just found out the other day. But really at this point there's no need for an official player anyway.