WH16NS60: Flashed firmware, Won't read UHD discs

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MaxNexor

WH16NS60: Flashed firmware, Won't read UHD discs

Post by MaxNexor »

Flashing process completed normally. However, drive will still not recognize UHD discs. I launch MakeMKV, select drive, insert disc. It tries to read disc, but eventually stops and says "Type: No disc."

Not sure what I'm missing. Any help appreciated.

Flashed using SDFtool Flasher v1.2.3 on Windows 10 PC.
Firmware: HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.03-NM00600-212005081010 from mk-firmware-pack-202000720.

Drive Information
OS device name: Z:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: M67J4C82045
Firmware date: 2120-05-08 10:10
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Drive Label
Model: WH16NS60
SVC Code: NS60
Manufactured: April 2019
ROM Ver: 1.02
bellboy

Re: WH16NS60: Flashed firmware, Won't read UHD discs

Post by bellboy »

I’ve been looking into buying a new drive as my old one may be on the way out. A couple of things that I see in your post…

It looks like your firmware is 1.03. If that’s true, you’re going to have to downgrade. Another is that you’re using Windows 10. I saw on another site that supposedly using the 64-bit version of Win 10 won’t work—it has to be the 32-bit version. You didnt say which one, so that might be an issue as well.

I’m sure folks here more knowledgeable than I can verify/correct this. Hope it helps.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

clean the disc
replace disc
clean drive
replace drive with BU40N

your drive may just be defective make sure to give it a full shut down somewhere in your testing
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

bellboy wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:27 am
I’ve been looking into buying a new drive as my old one may be on the way out. A couple of things that I see in your post…

It looks like your firmware is 1.03. If that’s true, you’re going to have to downgrade. Another is that you’re using Windows 10. I saw on another site that supposedly using the 64-bit version of Win 10 won’t work—it has to be the 32-bit version. You didnt say which one, so that might be an issue as well.

I’m sure folks here more knowledgeable than I can verify/correct this. Hope it helps.
here's all the correct stuff

1.03 is fine he is using MK as you see it says microcode access enabled. but they should have followed my guide and flash 1.02 to not cause this confusion

64 bit is fine your thinking about old dos flash that has been obsolete for years
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
MaxNexor

Post by MaxNexor »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:41 am
should have followed my guide and flash 1.02
Tried 1.02 first. Didn't work, so then tried 1.03. Can go back to 1.02 if that would be better.
Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:39 am
clean the disc
replace disc
clean drive
replace drive with BU40N

your drive may just be defective make sure to give it a full shut down somewhere in your testing
Shutdown PC after flashing the drive. Also shutdown overnight, then tried the next day.

I've had the drive for ~2 years. No problem ripping DVDs & Blu-ray discs. Just now trying to rip UHD discs.

Tried two different movies. Discs are brand new, straight out of the packaging, no dust/fingerprints/etc.

I gave the drive a shot of compressed air. Didn't help.

Any Windows extensions or such? I did not see anything mentioned. Also, I'm just wanting to rip the disc, not play it on this PC. My system is Win10 Pro, 64-bit. CPU is a 4790K, NVIDIA 750 Ti GPU.

Anything else I can try? Just wanting to try all options before trekking to the store for another drive.

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the help.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MaxNexor wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:01 pm

Shutdown PC after flashing the drive. Also shutdown overnight, then tried the next day.

I've had the drive for ~2 years. No problem ripping DVDs & Blu-ray discs. Just now trying to rip UHD discs.

Tried two different movies. Discs are brand new, straight out of the packaging, no dust/fingerprints/etc.

I gave the drive a shot of compressed air. Didn't help.

Any Windows extensions or such? I did not see anything mentioned. Also, I'm just wanting to rip the disc, not play it on this PC. My system is Win10 Pro, 64-bit. CPU is a 4790K, NVIDIA 750 Ti GPU.

Anything else I can try? Just wanting to try all options before trekking to the store for another drive.

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the help.
i see may have been bad from start but you have 2 years of wear on it no way to tell. but i dont mean compressed air cleaning i mean take it apart and clean with alcohol on the lasers.
but yeah try reflashing first it may help but probably not
also new disc does not mean clean you may still need to clean them even if they look perfect.