Modify my firmware image to allow for downgrading - BP50NB40, SVC Code NB40, FW 1.00

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
boiledsnowman

Modify my firmware image to allow for downgrading - BP50NB40, SVC Code NB40, FW 1.00

Post by boiledsnowman »

I recently came into possession of an old LG BP50NB40, I was excited when I saw in the main UHD Drive flashing thread that it could be cross-flashed to support UHD drives (or so I thought), I didn't realize that my service code of NB40 makes it incompatible with UHD drives, as per this thread.

So, foolishly believing I could get UHD compatibility, I:
  1. Backed up the firmware of the drive using SDFtool
  2. Cross-flashed to BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD.bin (thus breaking my drive: can't eject or read disks)
  3. Managed to recover to BP50NB40_1.01-MK thanks to help from this thread, however, the drive does still not work
  4. Tried to recover to my backup firmware, which is version 1.00, and it acts like it's flashing but doesn't actually flash as far as I can tell
  5. Tried using DoshFlash to flash the firmware, but DosFlash gives an "Unknown flash chip!" error. This also may just be an issue with the laptop I'm using, as it gives the same error on the optical drive that came with the laptop.
Based on how I understand the thread about custom firmwares, the FW images must be modified in order to be downgraded to. So, my guess here is that I cannot flash my backup firmware because it is version 1.00, which is older than the current 1.01 version. However, I could be interpreting that incorrectly.

My question is: how do I go about modifying my firmware image so that I can flash it to my drive to restore (non-UHD)functionality? Or, is there a custom firmware for my NB40 SVC code drive that I'm missing somewhere that I could use? All of the BP50NB40 images I see in the latest firmware pack are for the NB50 SVC service code.

Any help is much appreciated! I'm sorry I didn't pay close enough attention to the SVC Code aspect of the drive, all of this is my fault. I would love to un-brick this drive if it is possible. :D
momoster69

Re: Modify my firmware image to allow for downgrading - BP50NB40, SVC Code NB40, FW 1.00

Post by momoster69 »

Dear Friend,

I have the same drive - I made a backup of my firmware for you. Hopefully it would work however, my drive is newer - 2021

May the wind guide you.

Code: Select all

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h4s90smfkvwg0ty/dump_full_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.00_211612201528_SIK01L16I1520.bin/file
Try flashing it with that SDF Tool flasher
Chronicler1701

Re: Modify my firmware image to allow for downgrading - BP50NB40, SVC Code NB40, FW 1.00

Post by Chronicler1701 »

momoster69 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:29 am
Dear Friend,

I have the same drive - I made a backup of my firmware for you. Hopefully it would work however, my drive is newer - 2021

May the wind guide you.

Code: Select all

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h4s90smfkvwg0ty/dump_full_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.00_211612201528_SIK01L16I1520.bin/file
Try flashing it with that SDF Tool flasher
Hello. I have the same drive and same SVC as the original poster. The link you provided no longer works. Would you perhaps be able to link me to the BP50NB40, SVC NB40 firmware? I would appreciate it immensely.