Experience with new ASUS BW-16D1HT

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
TDDMKV

Experience with new ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by TDDMKV »

Long time lurker, first time poster. Having recently upgraded my TV to 4k I decided to have a mess about with 4k ripping and thought sharing what I did might be interesting or useful for others.

My old Blu-Ray drive wasn't up to the job so grabbed an ASUS BW-16D1HT cheap in the recent Black Friday sales. My PC doesn't have space for a drive so I'm running it via USB using an Inateck SATA to UBS 3.0 adapter https://www.inateck.com/products/sata-t ... ded-ua1001 which has the advantage of an external PSU. I also 3D printed a case for it https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4729132 so have a self-contained external unit without having to buy one the expensive enclosures. The adapter shows up as an ASMedia ASM105x in MakeMKV.

Plugging it all, power and USB, I used the guides on here and download the latest SDF Tool Flasher and the MK firmware pack. Loaded up the tool and used READ Firmware to backup the the drive ROMs (just in case), it showed as v3.10. I then used WRITE Firmware to write the MK patched version 3.10. All good so far.

Popped in my only 4K blu-ray and started MakeMKV. It got about half way through and then just stopped, eventually timing out with and error. When trying to restart I got a horrible noise which I guess is due to the sleep bug so ejected disc, and tried again... failed same place. Unplugged everything, plugged back in and tried again, failed same place! Started to get worried and then read some more of the posts on here and cleaned the disc, popped it back in and thankfully got a successful rip. Either this drive is a lot more sensitive to finger marks or 4K blu-rays are.

Anyway overall I'm very impressed and thanks to all the hard work of the team in getting this all working and making it easy for others to use.
dcoke22

Re: Experience with new ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by dcoke22 »

UHDs are extremely sensitive to any kind of dirt or oils. I try to never touch the business side of the disc, only handling the discs at the edges.

The data density of UHDs is very high compared to other kinds of discs. The same sized disc was used to hold a CD, which held about 700MB. UHDs might hold 100GB, or about 100x more data.
mostlife

Re: Experience with new ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by mostlife »

Try different disks, if that doesn't help.

Try this:

Reflash original 3.02 from mk firmware pack
After that, flash 3.01 original from firmware pack.

Then upgrade again to 3.10MK.

See if this helps