Using for both MakeMKV & Network Streaming (Infuse/Plex)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
lemmingzappa

Using for both MakeMKV & Network Streaming (Infuse/Plex)

Post by lemmingzappa »

I've noticed there are a few recommended models out there which support full UHD, Dolby Vision etc.. whilst remaining compatible with MakeMKV if flashed to the correct firmware.

Now my question is, those models which are listed on this forum, can they also be plugged into a Windows machine and used to stream Blu-Ray in real-time over the network to apps such as Infuse (supports DV) and/or Plex? Or are they purely locked to use with apps such as MakeMKV?

I use Infuse PRO on my Apple TV which works great with Dolby Vision MKV's streamed from a local NAS, but I'd like to be able to stream directly from a Blu-Ray drive over the network instead, whilst also having the option to rip MKV's with no limitation.

I would need to use the drive externally over USB rather than internal to the Windows PC.
Woodstock

Re: Using for both MakeMKV & Network Streaming (Infuse/Plex)

Post by Woodstock »

The drive itself does not remove copy protection. That's part of the software you use. There are ways to run MakeMKV to do that "on the fly" for compatible applications.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think Infuse works with profile 5 DV. That's the same DV profile that the streaming services use. The DV that's on UHDs is profile 7 which the AppleTV doesn't support. Most streaming box players don't support it. There are huge threads on this forum about converting UHD rips into a format that works for most players. All those steps are things that are not done in real time.

Long story short, 'streaming' a UHD from your optical drive to your streaming box player plugged into your TV isn't really possible.

However, as Woodstock has pointed out, MakeMKV does have integration with VLC to allow it to play the disc in your drive with MakeMKV handling the decryption.
lemmingzappa

Post by lemmingzappa »

Thanks guys, that's exactly the info I was after! Appreciate it.