ASUS BW-16D1HT - Unable to play discs in CyberLink PowerDVD

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
ItsFriktion

ASUS BW-16D1HT - Unable to play discs in CyberLink PowerDVD

Post by ItsFriktion »

I've searched around but haven't found anyone that is having quite this issue - unless I'm blind.

Anyway, it has been some time since I've flashed the firmware on this drive so excuse me if I'm foggy on some of the details. Essentially my issue is, while the drive + MakeMKV works to perfection post firmware patch (to enableUHD disc reading/ripping), CyberLink PowerDVD it is unable to actually play the disc, despite detecting the disc in the drive (along with name of the disc). Upon clicking play, after a few seconds of attempting to load the disc, I get an error that says "CyberLink PowerDVD cannot play this content because it is corrupted."

Not necessarily the end of the world as I can still read/rip blu-rays and UHD discs in MakeMKV, but due to some discs using crazy obfuscation techniques, I'd like to be able to get PowerDVD working again to use alongside Process Monitor to grab playlist info to ensure I'm ripping the correct file.

To note, I do not believe this is an issue with the PowerDVD software or install as I have a secondary USB drive that loads discs fine on PowerDVD. I should probably also note that I did purchase this drive and immediately flashed the firmware, so I am not sure if this issue with PowerDVD would still be present had I not flashed it.

Any suggestions? Maybe just a slightly botched firmware install? Maybe a step that I missed somewhere along the way? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: To be specific, I understand UHD discs may not play in PowerDVD due to the drive not officially being a UHD drive. My main issue is that I am still unable to load standard Blu-rays on PowerDVD with this drive.
Last edited by ItsFriktion on Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Re: ASUS BW-16D1HT - Unable to play discs in CyberLink PowerDVD

Post by SamuriHL »

Because it's not an official UHD drive. PowerDVD absolutely requires an official UHD drive. And no, flashing an official firmware won't suffice.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ItsFriktion wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:48 am
I've searched around but haven't found anyone that is having quite this issue - unless I'm blind.

Anyway, it has been some time since I've flashed the firmware on this drive so excuse me if I'm foggy on some of the details. Essentially my issue is, while the drive + MakeMKV works to perfection post firmware patch (to enableUHD disc reading/ripping), CyberLink PowerDVD it is unable to actually play the disc, despite detecting the disc in the drive (along with name of the disc). Upon clicking play, after a few seconds of attempting to load the disc, I get an error that says "CyberLink PowerDVD cannot play this content because it is corrupted."

Not necessarily the end of the world as I can still read/rip blu-rays and UHD discs in MakeMKV, but due to some discs using crazy obfuscation techniques, I'd like to be able to get PowerDVD working again to use alongside Process Monitor to grab playlist info to ensure I'm ripping the correct file.

To note, I do not believe this is an issue with the PowerDVD software or install as I have a secondary USB drive that loads discs fine on PowerDVD. I should probably also note that I did purchase this drive and immediately flashed the firmware, so I am not sure if this issue with PowerDVD would still be present had I not flashed it.

Any suggestions? Maybe just a slightly botched firmware install? Maybe a step that I missed somewhere along the way? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As Samuri said, PowerDVD is the problem. You can not use an official player with a flashed drive for UHD. Use another player such as VLC or MPC-HC. You can then play UHD discs directly by using MakeMKV as an on-the-fly decrypter.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
ItsFriktion

Post by ItsFriktion »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:16 pm
ItsFriktion wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:48 am

As Samuri said, PowerDVD is the problem. You can not use an official player with a flashed drive for UHD. Use another player such as VLC or MPC-HC. You can then play UHD discs directly by using MakeMKV as an on-the-fly decrypter.
I should probably have been a bit more specific here. PowerDVD will not play standard Blu-ray (non-UHD) discs either. Would this still be because PowerDVD is detecting unofficial firmware on the drive, period?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No. That's a separate issue. Something seems wrong with that. Try ripping one to a decrypted folder with MakeMKV and then opening that folder in PowerDVD. If that plays it points to a strange issue in the protected playback path. We're assuming your equipment is all HDCP compliant, right?
ItsFriktion

Post by ItsFriktion »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:15 am
No. That's a separate issue. Something seems wrong with that. Try ripping one to a decrypted folder with MakeMKV and then opening that folder in PowerDVD. If that plays it points to a strange issue in the protected playback path. We're assuming your equipment is all HDCP compliant, right?
So I was just able to create a decrypted back up of a disc with MakeMKV. This folder DID open in PowerDVD. Also wanted to state, since it looks like I forgot to mention, that I have a Pioneer USB Blu-ray drive that I use as a back up. PowerDVD also has no issues loading discs from that player. So now that we know PowerDVD can load discs from the Pioneer drive directly, play decrypted backups ripped from the Asus drive, but still unable to load directly from the disc when placed into the Asus drive, where does that leave us?

To answer your last question, there shouldn't be an HDCP compliance issue on any of my equipment outside of potentially the BW-16D1HT, and I think PowerDVD loading discs directly from the Pioneer drive probably confirms as much.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Not sure. For blu-ray that drive should work just fine. UHD, definitely not. So I don't have an answer for that one unfortunately.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

One possibility that can cause this is if you first use makemkv it removes bus encryption and cyberlink may bug out when that is missing do a full shutdown power back up don't open makemkv and then try the disc power dvd
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea I thought about that after I posted earlier. That would definitely cause problems, even with blu-ray. LibreDrive absolutely can't be active for PowerDVD to work.
ItsFriktion

Post by ItsFriktion »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:51 pm
One possibility that can cause this is if you first use makemkv it removes bus encryption and cyberlink may bug out when that is missing do a full shutdown power back up don't open makemkv and then try the disc power dvd
No dice here either. Full power off to clean power on. Did not load MakeMKV and I'm still receiving the same "CyberLink PowerDVD cannot play this content because it is corrupted" message when attempting to load the disc in PowerDVD.
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:22 pm
Yea I thought about that after I posted earlier. That would definitely cause problems, even with blu-ray. LibreDrive absolutely can't be active for PowerDVD to work.
Is it possible that LibreDrive would be activating automatically on system boot? If so, I'd have no idea how to deactivate that.

I appreciate everyone's help on this so far. It won't be the end of the world if I can't get this sorted, just a minor annoyance. The silver lining here is that I had no idea that a full decrypted folder backup could be made, but some of the suggestions here made me aware of that. That's a win in my book!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No, not possible. You have to scan the disc with MakeMKV to enable LibreDrive. So, I'm back to having absolutely no idea what's causing that issue. Again, UHD we know it won't work. Blu-ray it absolutely should.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

the only other thing to try is a de firmware instead of an mk see if they some how blacklisted it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
letao

Post by letao »

Hello, I also encountered the same problem when I used the 16D1HT again. Powerdvd says it's corrupt and can't play it, but I have another 1080p blu-ray drive (without flashing firmware) that can play blu-ray with powerdvd.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

hmm strange. I also have that drive, flashed with MK firmware:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
I also have Cyberlink PowerDVD 20, and I can play BluRays just fine with it, either the original one or a folder with a decrypted one. (Bought it because VLC is not always working with all BluRay menus)