I got an Asus pre-flashed drive. What else do I need to play+rip+burn 4K UHD discs?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
CinemaArt

I got an Asus pre-flashed drive. What else do I need to play+rip+burn 4K UHD discs?

Post by CinemaArt »

I got an Asus pre-flashed drive inside Vantec enclosure. I have a PC with windows 7. What do I need to do now to be able to:

1. Play 4K UHD discs?
2. Rip mkv's?
3. Burn discs?

Ultimately I hope to do all three, but I am in a hurry to play 4K UHD discs so I can test my 1080p display using HDR, while #2 and #3 are less "urgent" so to speak.

Note, I use madvr and mpc-hc, if this makes a difference. Thank you for your help!
dcoke22

Re: I got an Asus pre-flashed drive. What else do I need to play+rip+burn 4K UHD discs?

Post by dcoke22 »

CinemaArt wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:15 pm
2. Rip mkv's?
Launch MakeMKV, put the disc in the drive, rip. Perhaps the easiest way to play your UHD is to rip it then play the rip with VLC or MPV or your favorite player.
CinemaArt wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:15 pm
3. Burn discs?
Pioneer drives are considered some of the best for burning. It is unfortunate that Pioneer drives can't be made to rip UHDs.
CinemaArt

Re: I got an Asus pre-flashed drive. What else do I need to play+rip+burn 4K UHD discs?

Post by CinemaArt »

So I cant burn discs with the Asus?

As for playing discs, I have to use MPC-HC for madvr. Or at least, thats what I have, and ws recommended to me. How do I play UHD discs onto it? I think that was the point of it being pre-flashed.
CinemaArt

Post by CinemaArt »

If anyone can help with this, much appreciated!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Unfortunately, the success rate for ASUS or LG burning is lower than with Pioneer drives. And some UHD-friendly firmware may make it worse. The more layers on the disk being burned, the lower the chance of the ASUS or LG drive being successful.

If burning disks is important, then you really should go with two drives, with one of them being a Pioneer.

If you want to play UHD disks with official UHD software (rather than ripping), the Pioneer might work better there, too.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging