ASUS BW-16D1HT what a rubbish drive

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
johnnysh

ASUS BW-16D1HT what a rubbish drive

Post by johnnysh »

Hello Guys

long story short been limping along with an old blu ray drive

it had trouble reading breaking bad box set (Brand new / No Marks) that I have been trying to archive to iso

so after reading forums and recommended drives, I invested in ASUS BW-16D1HT

its no better than the drive I was using, I actually think it has more read errors than my old drive

Thinking of sending it back and getting a refund

Is there any better drives out there

Thank in advance
an .jpg
an .jpg (90.29 KiB) Viewed 9290 times
ab.jpg
ab.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 9290 times
johnnysh

Re: ASUS BW-16D1HT what a rubbish drive

Post by johnnysh »

qq.jpg
qq.jpg (104.13 KiB) Viewed 9287 times
johnnysh

Post by johnnysh »

Hi Guys

why is it I purchase a brand new drive and can not even archive a brand new disc from a breaking bad box set

Crazy ???

Thanks for any feedback

qqq.jpg
qqq.jpg (137.43 KiB) Viewed 9287 times
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Look over at the Redfox forum and see my comments / recommendations.
johnnysh

Post by johnnysh »

Thank you
johnnysh

Post by johnnysh »

Even after soap warm water and microfibre I was able to rip one of the problematic discs

But one of the discs after a clean and using anydvd, halfway through the rip the data flow goes from 24mbs to 0
I can hear the drive stop start / stop start then its back to 24mbs then back to zero

No we go through that section it's flying at 30mbs

Why are the disc stop start dropping to 0mbs ?? why is the data throughput not constant or gaining the more the disc you go through

Regards
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

These symptoms are pointing to mastering errors / discs are pressed badly and the drive has a hard time to read the data correctly. By cleaning you remove an invisible film that additionally makes them hard to read. If cleaning them twice doesn't help to read them out correctly you should return them and get a new set of discs. Your drive is working perfectly OK as you can see now.
i80386

Post by i80386 »

Get a decent power supply or use an external usb enclosure with it's own power supply.
Fixed 99.999% of my read errors in makemkv for me :)
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I don't think so. Power supply issues are far more exotic failures compared to these trivial "film on disc failures" that happen all the time. If cleaning helps there is really a very low chance that you have power supply issues.
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

The ASUS and LG drives are manufactured by LG. If you're using ANYDVDHD, Try crossflashing it to the LG WH16NS40 and see if it reads the disc better. Believe it or not, some titles work better with the ASUS BW16D1HT firmware, and other titles work better with the LG WH16NS40 firmware, whether you have ASUS or LG hardware.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I usually have 3.10 ASUS firmware for fastest read speed but use 3.02 ASUS for critical discs. 3.02 stays longer at lower read speeds that helps in such cases.
necrosis

Post by necrosis »

For you maybe.

I used the hell out of this drive (pre, what was it 2013 build? the unflashable one) for years.
Bought a newer one and flashed it (using same encloser) and have had zero issues.

I would look for problems elsewhere in your system.
rifth427

Post by rifth427 »

I just wanted to say for everyone choosing a drive. I can verify that this drive is faulty. It's not that it's "faulty," but there are many discs (music & videos) that it simply could not rip. I owned it for about 5 years or so occasionally running into disc read errors (since the day I bought it) and returning the media for a new one. Sometimes it would work sometimes it still wouldn't.

Later, and still oblivious to the fact that the drive was just a piece of junk, I bought an identical one because so many discs weren't being read. IT DID THE SAME EXACT THING.

So I learned the hard way: ASUS BW-16D1HT is a waste of time and money do not purchase it for ripping blu-rays or audio CDs.

I just exchanged the ASUS for an LG and it made it through the discs that I once thought couldn't be read.