LG WH14SN40 bricked after official update from LG

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
slylockfox

LG WH14SN40 bricked after official update from LG

Post by slylockfox »

Hello. I apologize if this is in the wrong section but this is my first post and I made this account solely to request help. I upgraded the firmware of a WH14SN40 made in 2012. It bricked the drive and it opens but won't see discs. I upgraded another LG drive of the same model but different manufacture year (2017) and it worked fine. Both drives were upgraded from N1.03 to 1.05. Can someone tell me how I can roll back both drives to N1.03. Even thought the 2017 drive works, it seems like it isn't reading as quickly as it previously did.

I tried several things that I read on this website but none of them worked. I am not sure if I am doing it right or if I have the right hardware. For reference, I have two desktops. One is a newer computer and the other is an older Dell. The newer one cannot set SATA mode to IDE. I read this is crucial. Using dosflash gives an error with the portico driver not installing due to signature signing reasons. Even if I disable signature signing, I still get the error.

The older Dell is very old. Like 2003 old. It has the old ribbon cables for IDE hard drives. The motherboard does have 2 SATA ports, but the BIOS (Dell) does not have the option to select the mode that SATA runs in. When I look in Device Manager, it does not say AHCI for the optical drives, so I think the SATA ports might be running in IDE mode. However, when I run DOSFLASH on the older Dell, it give the the error "MTK Vendor Intro to Master on port ******* failed. If you choock to resend the command you should turn the drive off and on after you pressed "Yes." Do you want to resend the command until the drive responds?"

I've flashed Xbox drives before. Should I have unplugged the power cable and plugged it back in after pressing "Yes?" Also, is DOSFLASH the right program to use? Should I have used SDFtool Flasher?

I apologize ahead of time if my issue was answered already on this forum. I spend a significant amount of time trying to fix this myself before posting but could not come up with a resolution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dcoke22

Re: LG WH14SN40 bricked after official update from LG

Post by dcoke22 »

UHD Drive Flashing Guide: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

According to the guide, the recommended firmware for your (newer) WH14NS40:
WH14NS40 on any Firmware directly to > WH16NS60 1.02MK
ham6817

Re: LG WH14SN40 bricked after official update from LG

Post by ham6817 »

So you updated it after you flashed it?