BU40N tray won't stay closed (when there's power to the drive)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
reewarb

BU40N tray won't stay closed (when there's power to the drive)

Post by reewarb »

Hello, all!

Firstly, apologies for my first post being a cry for help. I'm sure it's common, but it seems a little rude.

I recently purchased a BU40N, which was working perfectly with MakeMKV. I had to remove the drive from my machine for a week or two (for unrelated reasons). I recently hooked the drive back up, and as soon as I powered the machine up, the tray ejected and will not stay closed.

Windows can see the drive, and if I insert a disc and hold the tray closed, the activity light flashes, but it doesn't appear to spin up. Holding the drive closed, with a disc inserted, and double clicking the drive in 'My Computer' just says "Please insert a disk [...]".

In a futile attempt to debug the problem, I tried flashing firmware (which I remembered requires the tray to be closed). So, my first attempt, I left the tray open and makemkvcon64.exe told me the "Drive tray is open, please close it". So I held it closed, up-entered and flashed the firmware with no problem.

I'm at a loss as to what else I can try to do to bring the drive back to life, it's only about 2 months old.

My current thinking is that I should just restore the stock firmware, using BU40N_1.04.exe, and RMA it.

Has anyone encountered this issue before, and, if so, did you have any luck in resolving it?

Many thanks!
Billycar11

Re: BU40N tray won't stay closed (when there's power to the drive)

Post by Billycar11 »

No never seen that the only thing I can think of is make sure the button is not stuck in
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com