Restore Stock FW on WH16NS40

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Shadow351

Restore Stock FW on WH16NS40

Post by Shadow351 »

So my Asus BW-16D1HT crapped out on me, I assume the blue diode failed as it stopped reading & writing all Blu-ray media, and conveniently occurred in the middle of burning a Blu-ray.

I thought I'd try an LG WH16NS40 as a replacement as it is much lower price than the BW-16D1HT is now, but I discovered this drive is junk.
I have it flashed with patched firmware and it takes forever to rip a UHD (4+ hours, if it completes at all), and 75% of the discs I've tried to burn turned out as coasters (failed during verification leaving concentric 'splotches' on the bottom of the disc, failed during 'writing leadin' with "Write Error", failed seconds into writing with "Invalid Field in CDB"). After doing some research, it seems these are just junk drives, so I'd like to try to send it back. I want to flash the stock firmware back on it first, but I wanted to see if there was a special procedure since this was an encrypted firmware drive.

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement laser assembly for the BW-16D1HT?
Billycar11

Re: Restore Stock FW on WH16NS40

Post by Billycar11 »

they are the same drive just so you know the asus and lg
just go to lgs website and pot the latest firmware but trust me they dont check where you return it i sent all my defective ones back with the wrong firmware.
get a Pioneer with old FW next time
Last edited by Billycar11 on Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Shadow351

Post by Shadow351 »

Hmm, tried the LG flasher tool and it just says firmware is equal or newer and aborts.

Is there a BU40N available in a 5.25 size? Can't really put a slim drive in my tower.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Adapters are available. Icy Dock sells an adapter that mounts a slim optical disk AND 2.5" SATA drive (ssd or spinning) in a 5.25" drive bay. $33 on Amazon. $10 more gets one that mounts 2 2.5" drives and a slim optical.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

wow those went up in price a lot i got mine for $11 and $16 for those adapters

if the stock lg flasher wont do it you can do 2 things downgrade lower then use the lg flasher or find the stock 1.05 and flash it with the sdf flashers its here somewhere if i find it ill update this
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Shadow351 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:24 pm
So my Asus BW-16D1HT crapped out on me, I assume the blue diode failed as it stopped reading & writing all Blu-ray media, and conveniently occurred in the middle of burning a Blu-ray.

I thought I'd try an LG WH16NS40 as a replacement as it is much lower price than the BW-16D1HT is now, but I discovered this drive is junk.
I have it flashed with patched firmware and it takes forever to rip a UHD (4+ hours, if it completes at all), and 75% of the discs I've tried to burn turned out as coasters (failed during verification leaving concentric 'splotches' on the bottom of the disc, failed during 'writing leadin' with "Write Error", failed seconds into writing with "Invalid Field in CDB"). After doing some research, it seems these are just junk drives, so I'd like to try to send it back. I want to flash the stock firmware back on it first, but I wanted to see if there was a special procedure since this was an encrypted firmware drive.

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement laser assembly for the BW-16D1HT?
I'm not sure what firmware you are using (hopefully not WH16NS40 1.05-MK!! as it is garbage!!!) WH16NS60 1.02-MK is the recommended firmware for these drives.

Anyway, original flasher's are here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24443
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
unclehulka83

Post by unclehulka83 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:36 pm
just go to lgs website and pot the latest firmware but trust me they dont check where you return it i sent all my defective ones back with the wrong firmware.
get a BU40N next time
This post is a few years old, but wanted to check and see if you are still having success sending in your drive back to LG with the wrong firmware. My WH16NS40 Blu-Ray laser randomly stopped working the other day 9 months after purchase, so I'm about to start the claim process. I don't want to bother flashing it back to stock if I don't have to.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

unclehulka83 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:18 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
get a BU40N next time
This post is a few years old, but wanted to check and see if you are still having success sending in your drive back to LG with the wrong firmware. My WH16NS40 Blu-Ray laser randomly stopped working the other day 9 months after purchase, so I'm about to start the claim process. I don't want to bother flashing it back to stock if I don't have to.
never had an issue but i have not sold an lg/asus desktop drive since 2020 and all mine were in the 30 day return window i just sent them back to amazon when they fail my testing. but the few i sent back to lg i had no issue other than them sometimes saying amazon is not an authorized reseller then i had to explain to them how their warranty works in the USA
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

unclehulka83 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:18 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
get a BU40N next time
Don't be so lazy and flash it back to stock. Get the original flasher from here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24443.

Flash the drive to a WH16NS40 MK version lower than v1.05 then use the original flasher to update to v1.05. Simple and takes 1 minute.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com