Optical drive to rip Blu-ray (25/50)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Frosafelix

Optical drive to rip Blu-ray (25/50)

Post by Frosafelix »

Hi! This is my first post. I tried to find out about this searching for my question but couldn't find an answer to it. I see that there is a list of optical drives that are UHD friendly, but what if I want to begin ripping BR and DVD, couldn't I make do with any drive as long as it reads BR?
Woodstock

Re: Optical drive to rip Blu-ray (25/50)

Post by Woodstock »

You can assume that any of the drives listed as UHD-friendly can also read the "lower standard" disks, like CD, DVD, and regular BD. Most have the symbols for these on their drive trays.

Even the "UHD-official" drives, which are not UHD-friendly, will also rip most everything.

The exception is HD-DVD, which you won't see on many modern drives.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Frosafelix wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:32 pm
Hi! This is my first post. I tried to find out about this searching for my question but couldn't find an answer to it. I see that there is a list of optical drives that are UHD friendly, but what if I want to begin ripping BR and DVD, couldn't I make do with any drive as long as it reads BR?
Yes. If you currently have a drive and it works with MakeMKV to rip DVDs and/or regular blu-rays, then by all means, use it.

If you're going to buy a drive, then (generally speaking) it makes sense to get one of the drives on the list (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634).
Frosafelix

Post by Frosafelix »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:00 pm
Frosafelix wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:32 pm
Yes. If you currently have a drive and it works with MakeMKV to rip DVDs and/or regular blu-rays, then by all means, use it.

If you're going to buy a drive, then (generally speaking) it makes sense to get one of the drives on the list (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634).
Thanks for the tip. That guide is pretty comprehensive. I am going to use the one I have right now to make remuxes of my DVDs, and will buy one of those drives later.