Re: CXUHD+Lg-BH16NS55

Post by asmcom »

RiotNrrrd wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:59 pm
asmcom wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:37 pm
RiotNrrrd wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:53 pm

You guys are trying to convince this poor Spanish person to buy two Blu-ray drives and to remux 4K UHD discs, instead of just recommending he play his FULL-DISC backups over the network (or via USB stick)?

C'mon ... :roll:
This is not correct. I have advised this gentleman in several eBay messages that the best solution is to play over the network and also recommended a setup to do this.

This is brilliant news that the CXUHD can play ISO files over the network. I know it is hit and miss with playing full image backups on BDXL 100GB discs.
I didn't say the CXUHD could play ISO files over the network. I said it could play media over the network. I play MKVs, AVIs, MP4s etc. over the network on mine.

But otherwise given the fact that the CXUHD is an Oppo 203 clone, it can't play ISO images over the network unless you install *cough* "alternate" firmware.
I am lucky then that I can play ISO files with full menus with my Dune 4K Ultra. Can the Cambridge CXUHD play BD folders by selecting the index file? I would put the Dune 4K Ultra on a par for picture quality with my Oppo UDP-203. I am collecting the CXUHD player tomorrow, I am looking forward to trying it out with my Linn Akurate Fully Active System. Did you have an Oppo before you purchased the Cambridge CXUHD player? Have a good day Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
RiotNrrrd

Post by RiotNrrrd »

asmcom wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:12 am
RiotNrrrd wrote:
I didn't say the CXUHD could play ISO files over the network. I said it could play media over the network. I play MKVs, AVIs, MP4s etc. over the network on mine.

But otherwise given the fact that the CXUHD is an Oppo 203 clone, it can't play ISO images over the network unless you install *cough* "alternate" firmware.
I am lucky then that I can play ISO files with full menus with my Dune 4K Ultra. Can the Cambridge CXUHD play BD folders by selecting the index file? I would put the Dune 4K Ultra on a par for picture quality with my Oppo UDP-203. I am collecting the CXUHD player tomorrow, I am looking forward to trying it out with my Linn Akurate Fully Active System. Did you have an Oppo before you purchased the Cambridge CXUHD player?
I've only owned an older Oppo DVD player, not an Oppo 203.

The CXUHD, like the Oppo 203, will play 4K UHD folder rips over the network with no changes. I've done it with my own rips.

But for Blu-ray folder rips, you have to rename the folders to "AVCHD" (e.g. if you rip the movie "Source Code" and end up with a top-level folder called "SOURCECODE", the CXUHD will not play it over the net until/unless you rename "SOURCECODE" to "AVCHD") and then you have to run the Windows program BDMV Modifier 2.0 on the "AVCHD" folder. After that they will play.

(I think "alternate" firmwares might obviate the need to run BDMV Modifier 2.0, but don't quote me on that.)
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

elmarmolejo wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:23 am
:cry:

it's a chore
what I want to achieve cannot be done with technology and with the player I have.

in that case, I am sorry to say that at the moment I am not going to invest money in something that does not cover my need.
Why buy the pioneer burner if I can't do the backups the way I want to do them?

But we have to be positive, we keep in touch just in case there is a solution in a short space of time.
For both the CXUHD and the burner.
:D
Hello elmarmolejo,
I am delighted to hear you can play your full folder backups with your CXUHD player via your hard drive attached. I will keep researching your other problem and when I find a solution I will be in touch. Please feel free to contact me anytime with any other issues you have as I will be glad to help you out as you are a valued customer.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
elmarmolejo

Post by elmarmolejo »

RiotNrrrd wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:37 am
asmcom wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:12 am
RiotNrrrd wrote:

I am lucky then that I can play ISO files with full menus with my Dune 4K Ultra. Can the Cambridge CXUHD play BD folders by selecting the index file? I would put the Dune 4K Ultra on a par for picture quality with my Oppo UDP-203. I am collecting the CXUHD player tomorrow, I am looking forward to trying it out with my Linn Akurate Fully Active System. Did you have an Oppo before you purchased the Cambridge CXUHD player?
I've only owned an older Oppo DVD player, not an Oppo 203.

The CXUHD, like the Oppo 203, will play 4K UHD folder rips over the network with no changes. I've done it with my own rips.

But for Blu-ray folder rips, you have to rename the folders to "AVCHD" (e.g. if you rip the movie "Source Code" and end up with a top-level folder called "SOURCECODE", the CXUHD will not play it over the net until/unless you rename "SOURCECODE" to "AVCHD") and then you have to run the Windows program BDMV Modifier 2.0 on the "AVCHD" folder. After that they will play.

(I think "alternate" firmwares might obviate the need to run BDMV Modifier 2.0, but don't quote me on that.)
I have done the following test.
I have taken a mkv file and passed it through tsmuxer.
The output file I have chosen has been "AVCHD folder".
I have transferred it to a Western Digital My Passport Go SSD and the CXUHD has played it without problem.
I am talking about a BD structure, not a UHD structure.
elmarmolejo

Post by elmarmolejo »

Hi, I found this tip on the page:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/388 ... port/page7

Yes, you click on write files/folders to disc, then click on 'Browse for a folder' and select the BDMV folder.
Click on the 'Build' (picture of a disc). You'll then get a message to say you haven't included a CERTIFICATE folder even though one exists at the same directory level as the 'BDMV' folder, select 'YES'.
It will then ask "Are you trying to build a Blu-ray video disc?", select 'YES'.
It then prompts you for a volume label, just type in what you want, it doesn't really matter what you enter, it won't effect the build.
You'll then get a confirmation window with details of what you're about to burn to disc, if you're happy that you've selected the right folders then select "OK".

N.B. I always set a low write speed (x2) to ensure the best possible burn (a 66GB file will normally take about 1hr 50m to burn) and I ensure that I don't start up any other programs on the PC while the burn is taking place, i.e. I just go away and let the burn happen, going back later to re-insert the disc to enable the verify to take place.

Yes, I have 'verified' ticked, but this makes no difference to the burn, it will just ask you to re-insert the disc you've just burned so it can verify the contents against the files on your hard drive.

UDF 2.60

ImgBurn version 2.5.8.0

Good luck with the burn mate!

Hi,
You appear to be something differently to me...
If you've selected 'write files/folders to disc', it shouldn't be making any reference to an image!

Just go with UDF 2.60 (shouldn't matter between this and 2.5 when you're creating a single session, disc-at-one burn, but just to be safe), mode1/2048 (only mode possible with DVDs and BDs).

He have done that test to use it in an oppo udp-203 and comments that it has worked.
That the disc has been played without skipping or layer break.

If any member of the forum has a 5.25 "enclosure to do the test I would be very very grateful

Thank you so much
Cheeweechoochoo

Post by Cheeweechoochoo »

asmcom wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:03 am
Coopervid wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:13 am
You can read also through this thread here. If you still can get a Pioneer 209 I would recommend it. A 212 is also OK but the 209 provides the better results.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/bd-50gb.80418/page-9
I agree with this. Pioneer 209 is brilliant
So I am thinking of buying a burner, mostly want to burn M discs such as Verbatim M-Disc BD-R 25GB 4X or Verbatim M-Disc BDXL 100GB 4X. Basically making a cold storage backup.

I read here BD 50GB that only Pioneer drives can get down to 2x speed. Will that be achievable with the Verbatim M-Discs?

I was thinking of the LG BH16NS55 because of UHD support, but then I don't really have any Blu Ray movies so I'm unlikely to be ripping them. These days mostly everything is digital distribution I guess.

Seems like Pioneer is better suited for my purpose.
asmcom wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 am
Got you a price on the Pioneer.

Manufacturer product ID: BDR-209EBK

£70.00 including postage. This is cost price for you. 4 week delivery.
I've also noticed most places only seem to have the DBK model of Pioneer. Apparently they are different Pioneer BDR-209DBK vs BDR-209EBK?. I haven't been able to find them anywhere though, not even on ebay.

Looking at https://staticice.com.au I see no EBKs in Australia, seems like they aren't really a thing here. I also noticed there was an EBK variant of the BDR-212.

I kinda wanted one of those as this post said:
Albert wrote:DBK versus EBK: The only real difference is the DBK doesn’t support writing to BDXL (3 layer and 4 layer BD media), EBK does support BDXL media.
I kinda wanted to do that because some of my backups are over 50GB, so the Verbatim M-Disc BDXL 100GB 4X would have been convenient. I'm not doing a huge number of backups so media cost is affordable.

Hmm..
Cheeweechoochoo

Post by Cheeweechoochoo »

Cheeweechoochoo wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:56 am
asmcom wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 am
Got you a price on the Pioneer.

Manufacturer product ID: BDR-209EBK

£70.00 including postage. This is cost price for you. 4 week delivery.
I've also noticed most places only seem to have the DBK model of Pioneer. Apparently they are different Pioneer BDR-209DBK vs BDR-209EBK?. I haven't been able to find them anywhere though, not even on ebay.

Looking at https://staticice.com.au I see no EBKs in Australia, seems like they aren't really a thing here. I also noticed there was an EBK variant of the BDR-212.
Ended up getting an EBK on Amazon. It ended up being $152.90AUD including $14.37AUD shipping. Not too bad.

The UBK by Triplenet Pricing INC was up there for $215.95AUD but with $83.54AUD shipping, totaling $339.46AUD. That is terrible value.

From newegg it was $224.00 AUD, with $40.68AUD delivery and $24.55AUD duty/tax totaling AUD $289.23....

So that Cyberlink software sure does "cost a lot"... at that rate I'm better off buying a LG BH16NS55 as well locally for $83AUD and then I'm not bound to using Cyberlink's crappy software that requires Intel/SGX. Which as it happens suits me as I don't like using Windows anyway.