Trying To Get a LG WH16NS60 To Work

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
GeorgeJohn

Re: Trying To Get a LG WH16NS60 To Work

Post by GeorgeJohn »

Regarding the SDtool Flasher:

If this is the one I tried, that I found on this forum, Microsoft flagged it as an unknown and potentially dangerous application. There was no compelling need to use it. The command line application seemed like a perfectly reasonable option. The only thing I missed/overlooked/forgot was that my firmware is encrypted and the "enc" switch was needed.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Don't follow and obey Microsucks. I think you are very much aware of that by your experience and history.
GeorgeJohn

Post by GeorgeJohn »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:59 pm

I would also suggest getting off 1.03 as it really a crappy firmware. Plenty of people have had read issues using it. WH16NS60 1.02 from the MK/old folder is the recommended firmware and works a lot better.
I can now confirm MAJOR issues with 1.03. Ripping a Blu-ray (not an Ultra HD Blu-ray) was VERY noisy. Attempting to burn a Blu-ray was FRIGHTENINGLY noisy. The drive sounded like it was destroying itself. As cancel failed, I killed the power. Thankfully, the drive still rips Ultra HD Blu-rays okay.

Given my if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality, I bought a second external case and am using my spare Pioneer BRD-212U drive to rip and burn Blu-rays. The LG drive will be used exclusively to rip Ultra Blu-rays. I was amused by this: "Status: Might be supported in future, keep fingers crossed"

Just curious, where did the 1.03 firmware come from? Will there be any attempt to improve it?

So hopefully the BRD-212U will eventually be supported *AND* ripping and burning Blu-rays won't be broken in the process. This is what MakeMKV reports:

Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-212U
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: SKDL001007WL
Firmware date: 2020-07-21
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 68

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8F01