LG-BU40N v1.00 UHD Friendly Blu-ray Drive Stop working

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
eXaiNReacH

LG-BU40N v1.00 UHD Friendly Blu-ray Drive Stop working

Post by eXaiNReacH »

I bought a LG-BU40N v1.00 UHD Friendly Blu-ray Drive / Slim Vantec External Enclosure from ebay and have been ripping 4k UHD to my PLEX server for sometime but now it has stop working

MakeMkv no disc

Windows 10 no disc

I tried diabling Libredrive for the drive still no disc

I read somewhere that maybe a defekt usb cable
Can anyone maybe help?
dcoke22

Re: LG-BU40N v1.00 UHD Friendly Blu-ray Drive Stop working

Post by dcoke22 »

You could try disconnecting the drive from power for a few seconds and rebooting your computer. This will reboot the tiny computer in your drive that runs it.

If that doesn't work, it is time to start systematically testing things to isolate what might be wrong. Try a different USB port on your computer (or try some known working USB device in that port on your computer to verify the port works). Try a different USB cable all together. Then try a different enclosure (or a different, known working drive in your existing enclosure). The UHD Guide (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634) recommends the Vantec NST-510S3-BK 9.5mm slim sata case, which seems to be about $20 on Amazon (in the USA at least).

If all that fails, it could be that the drive itself is dead.
eXaiNReacH

Post by eXaiNReacH »

Thanks for your reply

I tried your suggestions The USB port works on my pc..

I think the drive or enclosure is defekt :(

Do you guys have any recommendation for a new reliable UHD Friendly Blu-ray Drive for Makemkv in an enclosure via USB?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The Drives Guide has recommendations. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634
Seantik

Post by Seantik »

I have the exact same problem with my BU40N. It suddenly happend after approx. 40 - 50 backup. My computer was off for a couple of days and the drive disconnected. Yesterday I was going to do some other backup and now it won't work as there is "No disc" Have tried everything, reflashing, chance computer, change USB port etc.