Slim UHD Friendly Solution? Anyone?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Chris Kelly

Slim UHD Friendly Solution? Anyone?

Post by Chris Kelly »

The LG BU40N is a UHD official drive. Are there any compatible MT-1959 ASUS or LG model UHD friendly drives it could be crossflashed to? If not, are there any slim UHD friendly drives out there which could be flashed to an MK firmware to put it in Libredrive mode?
d00zah

Re: Slim UHD Friendly Solution? Anyone?

Post by d00zah »

Last edited by d00zah on Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

I tried flashing to 1.03 and 1.00. I don't think it was UHD friendly because when I tried decrypting with AnyDVDHD, it acted like a UHD official drive and gave me an error. I do have this older BU20N which I dropped a few years ago and possibly damaged the mechanism. I was wondering if the BU40N could be crossflashed to the latest MK firmware for the BU20N. Here's what MakeMKV says about the BU20N I have. I think the 19:39 is refering to the time of release, and NOT the older MT-1939 platform, because it says the platform is MT-1959.

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU20N
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: MD1G8LB4930
Firmware date: 2115-04-21 19:39
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
d00zah wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:59 pm
The guide says, "BU40N on any Firmware directly to > BU40N 1.03MK" to make it friendly.

It also says, "Don't crossflash desktop drives to slim drives or the other way around" under section Crossflashing Warnings:, so LG BU40N seems to be the only slim option.

Additionally, IF the BU40N comes w/ v1.04 FW loaded, it's encrypted so either the MakeMKV command line, or SDFtool Flasher w/ the 'enc' switch set MUST be used for the initial flash.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:55 pm
the BU40N cant be crossflashed to anything except a BU50N possibly but i have not tested that and dont recommend it you are only looking for trouble with crossflashing that.
what are you doing in anydvd that makemkv cant if you looking for an iso do a folder backup in makemkv and then make an iso out of it in imgburn
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

In case you're wondering, since my BU20N was dropped and possibly damaged already, I didn't care if I lethally poisoned it. So I tried crossflashing it to a BU40N. The Modified ASUS Flasher gave an error right away. So they aren't crossflashable. When playing directly from discs by integrating MakeMKV with VLC, I can't get Blu-ray menus to work. However, when decrypting with AnyDVDHD, the menus work.
I wouldn't imagine the ASUS and LG SATA slim drives are crossflashable to ASUS and LG USB slim drives. However, are any of the current LG or ASUS USB slim drives UHD friendly?
Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:16 pm
Chris Kelly wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:55 pm
the BU40N cant be crossflashed to anything except a BU50N possibly but i have not tested that and dont recommend it you are only looking for trouble with crossflashing that.
what are you doing in anydvd that makemkv cant if you looking for an iso do a folder backup in makemkv and then make an iso out of it in imgburn
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

No, there are no slim drives that are "UHD friendly". They are all "UHD official". There is no "friendly" firmware that the BU40N can be cross-flashed to as all slim drives are "official".

Hope that clears it up for you.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com