Out of the following which drive should i buy for myself and my related questions.

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
cryptic_bore

Out of the following which drive should i buy for myself and my related questions.

Post by cryptic_bore »

I've read a number of threads on here Some posted years ago but were updated/edited recently etc. There's "disagreements" and "your milage may vary" responces because thats just how it goes with things like this goes.
When i was a kid/teen i ripped dvds so i could play things on my ipod and netbook. Havnt done it since.

below is a list of drives i found from the recomended list.

i own a few blu ray discs no UHD but i do want that option to rip that. ideally I want as many features as possible at the fastest write speeds and as quiet as possible and i could be dreaming.
i can source BH16NS55 locally today new for around 80-90 AUD but people are reporting breaks and others working for years and are just fine?
i can source in ASUS BW-16D1HT PRO locally for around 140 (when it comes back in stock next month)
i can source LG BU40N, UHD Official Internal Slim Sata 9.5mm off of ebay or amazon for around 140 to 160 with the usb 3.0 case . ive heard its old yet reliable but because its not local im nervous and hate returns.

is there another drive i should hunt for or at least think about?

can you tell me the plus'es and minuses of each one?

Ive heard UHD requires an intel processer is that true only before flashing custom firmware, thats how everything read but just want to make sure its not after aswell. Also does this make the drive region free for at least some content? as i own some blu rays from the us region that i was given and cant watch and also wanted to buy some anime sets that has not been released in the uk/australian region.
dcoke22

Re: Out of the following which drive should i buy for myself and my related questions.

Post by dcoke22 »

You need a new enough Intel CPU (among other things) to be able to play a UHD from a disc. Just ripping or playing a rip works with just about any processor. I don't know that flashing a new firmware makes the drive region free, but MakeMKV should be able to rip any region without trouble.

Speed and quiet are sort-of opposite. When my drive(s) are reading the fastest, they're spinning the fastest, and they're the loudest they get. My ASUS BW-16D1HT is quieter than my LG WH16NS60, but the max speed of the ASUS is lower than the LG.

Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2021: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

You've probably found that thread. The first post there is kept up to date with drive recommendations. The LG BU40N is considered reliable, but it is not the fastest. There's a real possibility that any drive you buy might die early on, so the ease of getting a replacement/making a return should be a consideration. The various sellers listed in the Guide test each drive after they flash it before it gets sent out. If dealing with the possibility of a return is a concern, buying a drive from a seller is a good way to minimize the chances of something going wrong.

MakeMKV can rip from more than one optical drive at the same time. So, if you really want to be able rip multiple discs as fast as possible, then getting two or three drives is a good way to do that. If you're going to go that route, having different drives is a good way to improve your chances of getting a clean rip from the occasional troublesome disc.
cryptic_bore

Re: Out of the following which drive should i buy for myself and my related questions.

Post by cryptic_bore »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:32 pm
You need a new enough Intel CPU (among other things) to be able to play a UHD from a disc.

So what your saying is even after flashing or with libre drive it cant be play directly tech and drm be really quirky. Whelp that kinda sucks as i have 3800x.
dcoke22 wrote:
I don't know that flashing a new firmware makes the drive region free, but MakeMKV should be able to rip any region without trouble.
it would be quirky that the files are rippable but not playable directly from the disc, ut ive come accross stranger things, hopefully someone here can answer.
dcoke22 wrote:
Speed and quiet are sort-of opposite. When my drive(s) are reading the fastest, they're spinning the fastest, and they're the loudest they get. My ASUS BW-16D1HT is quieter than my LG WH16NS60, but the max speed of the ASUS is lower than the LG.
unfortunately makes sence and what i expected.
dcoke22 wrote:
You've probably found that thread. The first post there is kept up to date with drive recommendations. The LG BU40N is considered reliable, but it is not the fastest. There's a real possibility that any drive you buy might die early on, so the ease of getting a replacement/making a return should be a consideration. The various sellers listed in the Guide test each drive after they flash it before it gets sent out. If dealing with the possibility of a return is a concern, buying a drive from a seller is a good way to minimize the chances of something going wrong.

im probs not going to buy from a reseller. so out of the drives listed which has the potential for the most features or should i just go for the cheapest? Thanks for responding
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

UHD disc playback has a lot of requirements. https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-c ... o?id=19144

Just for ripping, the cheapest, easiest to acquire (and perhaps return if it fails), is probably your best bet. Some folks on this forum would classify the BU40N as significantly more reliable than the other drives, but not everyone would agree. I don't have any experience with BU40N, so can't speak to my experience one way or another.
soloist3

Post by soloist3 »

I can attest to the fact that the BU40N is more reliable. Out of the last 30 or so dual layer BD discs I ripped, there were 5 or 6 that my 16NS60 would completely fail on, and mind you these discs were spotless and straight out of their, new, retail packaging.

if I didn't have the BU40N, I would have been completely stuck, so it's a really good drive to have IMO. The only thing is, the speed just isn't there with the BU40N. I was ready for the 3-6 minute slow down with UHD discs, but what I wasn't ready for was it running HALF the speed with regular BD discs, and about 1/3 slower with regular DVD's, that was a bit of a gut punch. I guess there is no perfect drive out there, well, aside for those lucky enough to get a good, working, 16NS60...even then, those drives smell like Chinese cancer, lol. Maybe the BU40N is as good as it gets, it's kind of the goldilock's drive, too bad the speed is mediocre.