Here's How I Made out with My New LG BU40N Testcopying 4K UHD Blu-rays

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Chris Kelly

Here's How I Made out with My New LG BU40N Testcopying 4K UHD Blu-rays

Post by Chris Kelly »

I didn't watch the movies themselves after testcopying them because other than keeping up with my job and my health, all I've been doing during the day and through the night since May 8th is testcopying the thirty or forty 4K UHD Blu-rays in my collection, which I had to go through three times to evaluate three drives so I could get this done in time to decide which drives I would be returning and keeping. Here's where I stand with the LG BU40N. The only two discs it had trouble with were the 4K UHD editions of "Rear Window" and "Vertigo" included with "The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection." As far as I can tell, I didn't get any error messages. Below my description are my best efforts to copy, paste, and share a screenshot of what I can from MakeMKV. A few seconds after the drive sounded like it was spinning at a steady speed, I'd suddenly hear the drive slow down almost to a halt accompanied by some clicking. This pattern happened a few times within the first few minutes, but then it remained steady until it was finished copying. Immediately upon loading the disc for direct playback, I heard this same slowdown accompanied by clicking. The disc took a while to start. Even the Universal Pictures ad before the main menu was choppy. Once the menu came up and I started the movie, everything seemed to behave normally. While playing from the SSD went more smoothly, I would like to save time and be able to use my laptop for other things instead of constantly leaving it alone while it rips in order to avoid errors, and instead, start playing directly from my discs. At this point, I am hoping to use my BU40N for portable use, and my WH16NS60 for home use since it is noticeably quieter. Should I exchange the BU40N for another unit of the same model, or should I exchange the disc set with an identical one?

Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=FA108BB7DA63)
Backing up disc into folder "C:/Users/Owner/Videos/VERTIGO"
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Backup done
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=FA108BB7DA63)
Backing up disc into folder "C:/Users/Owner/Videos/Rear Window"
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Backup done
Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: MOAKC1J2510
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 11:42
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: Rear Window
Timestamp: 2020-07-07 12:32:57
Data capacity: 89.23 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80
Attachments
Status of Rear Window and Vertigo Rips as Shown in MakeMKV.png
Status of Rear Window and Vertigo Rips as Shown in MakeMKV.png (63.61 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
Last edited by Chris Kelly on Sun May 16, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Billycar11

Re: Here's How I Made out with My New LG BU40N Testcopying 4K UHD Blu-rays

Post by Billycar11 »

they sometimes do the ticking noise from layer switches or track switches nothing to worry about if you got no errors you are perfect.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Chris Kelly

Re: Here's How I Made out with My New LG BU40N Testcopying 4K UHD Blu-rays

Post by Chris Kelly »

I shortened my first post so it's easier to read. I am aware of the problems at the layer break areas as Billycar11 described. Could Universal Home Video have authored these two discs so everything before the menu is at one of the layer break areas? Usually, the layer breaks occure within the middle of the movie.
Billycar11 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:46 am
they sometimes do the ticking noise from layer switches or track switches nothing to worry about if you got no errors you are perfect.