Cannot Copy 4K UHD Blu-rays with LG WH16NS60 1.03 MK Patch!

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Chris Kelly

Cannot Copy 4K UHD Blu-rays with LG WH16NS60 1.03 MK Patch!

Post by Chris Kelly »

I have version 1.03 MK Pach installed.
Drive Info as Shown in MakeMKV.png
Drive Info as Shown in MakeMKV.png (38.75 KiB) Viewed 6375 times
After clicking File>Backup, choosing my destination, and clicking OK, I got this error on four 4K UHD Blu-rays in a row--😲!
Error when Using MakeMKV's Backup Feature with the LG WH16NS60 1.03 MK Pached.png
Error when Using MakeMKV's Backup Feature with the LG WH16NS60 1.03 MK Pached.png (47.17 KiB) Viewed 6375 times
I thought the LG WH16NS60 was compatible with MakeMKV even though it's a UHD official drive.
Billycar11

Re: Cannot Copy 4K UHD Blu-rays with LG WH16NS60 1.03 MK Patch!

Post by Billycar11 »

a few ideas make sure your makemkv data directory is accessible and contacting webserver for update is allowed in the makemkv settings.
if all that checks out i can give you my privatedata.tar to see if that will fix your issue that has the keys in it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

1st of all, text in the MakeMKV Info (right) & Output (bottom) panes is selectable & is much easier to copy/paste/quote/review than images (IMO).

Each sub-forum offers FAQs/pinned posts addressing most common issues & is the best place to start when encountering an issue. In your case, this one in UHD discs jumps out...

Fixing Volume Key is Unknown

Hope this helps.
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

I'm not a fan of automatic software updates. So I did have the "Online Update/Updates" checkbox unchecked. So I checked it, and after a few tries, it worked. Then I went into the Windows Registry Editor and in the empty MakeMKV read speed string, I maxed it out and filled it in with a string of 0=99. I was able to rip a tripple-layer, 80GB 4K UHD Blu-ray between 40 and 45 minutes, and a dual-layer 45GB HD Blu-ray within about 20 minutes. When I did that with my WH16NS40 with its respective 1.05 MK patch installed, it kept spinning, but for some reason, it wasn't reading, but got stuck spinning at a high speed, and I had to turn it off to snap it out of that wierd status. This is a good sign of how tough the WH16NS60 just might be. During the next few days, I plan on going through the 40 discs in my 4K UHD Blu-ray collection to determine my WH16NS60's stability.
If any discs give me problems, I'll delete that speed string from the Windows Registry Editor and try such discs at the default speed. Thanks, guys. See you in a few days.
Billycar11 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:04 am
a few ideas make sure your makemkv data directory is accessible and contacting webserver for update is allowed in the makemkv settings.
if all that checks out i can give you my privatedata.tar to see if that will fix your issue that has the keys in it
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:09 pm
I'm not a fan of automatic software updates. So I did have the "Online Update/Updates" checkbox unchecked. So I checked it, and after a few tries, it worked. Then I went into the Windows Registry Editor and in the empty MakeMKV read speed string, I maxed it out and filled it in with a string of 0=99. I was able to rip a tripple-layer, 80GB 4K UHD Blu-ray between 40 and 45 minutes, and a dual-layer 45GB HD Blu-ray within about 20 minutes. When I did that with my WH16NS40 with its respective 1.05 MK patch installed, it kept spinning, but for some reason, it wasn't reading, but got stuck spinning at a high speed, and I had to turn it off to snap it out of that wierd status. This is a good sign of how tough the WH16NS60 just might be. During the next few days, I plan on going through the 40 discs in my 4K UHD Blu-ray collection to determine my WH16NS60's stability.
If any discs give me problems, I'll delete that speed string from the Windows Registry Editor and try such discs at the default speed. Thanks, guys. See you in a few days.
Billycar11 wrote:
Hi Chris, Glad to hear all is good. Yes WH16NS60 is good solid drive. I have backed up over 1000 of my discs with this desktop model.

I can understand what you mean by the BU40N being fragile. However it is good to have this wee fragile drive when you have difficult discs.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

Asmcom! It's been a while! I was wondering where YOU were when I started persuing this again a week and a half ago after giving this a rest last year even though it wasn't fully resolved. I'm thinking a physical NS60 is better than crossflashing an NS40 TO an NS60.
Since it appears there's a way to play discs in VLC while MakeMKV decrypts them without an internet connection and without taking time to copy them, depending on how I make out with the stability issues, I'm thinking about keeping the NS60 for when I wish to copy discs to my laptop for all-in-one portable use, AND the BU40N for time-saving, playback whether at home or on the go.
asmcom wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:42 pm
Chris Kelly wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:09 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Hi Chris, Glad to hear all is good. Yes WH16NS60 is good solid drive. I have backed up over 1000 of my discs with this desktop model.

I can understand what you mean by the BU40N being fragile. However it is good to have this wee fragile drive when you have difficult discs.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
Chris Kelly

Great News!

Post by Chris Kelly »

I was 100% successful testcopying ALL my 4K UHD Blu-rays with the physical
WH16NS60 on its latest respective MK firmware at the default speed. I did get an error on one when I tried the maximum speed, but once I removed that string from the Windows Registry Editor again, it got through every disc with flying colors. Now, on to preparing my new BU40N for testcopying and playback! I'll post the results for that in another thread. But based on LG's model number pattern, I KNEW the WH16NS60 is even newer than the BE16NU50 which I enjoyed for three years. Based on that, I had a good feeling the WH16NS60 would work out for me, as it did. Last year, I did try flashing my WH16NS40 to NS60 firmware, but it just wasn't the real thing. I didn't even try flashing my new ASUS BW-16D1HT to WH16NS60 firmware. I'm just going to return it to Amazon and move on to my next project.