Strange Days...BW-16D1HT

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
LG-BDNU40

Strange Days...BW-16D1HT

Post by LG-BDNU40 »

My BW-16D1HT has worked fine, but not used for last few months. Updated MakeMKV today then tried to make a back-up of one of my 4K disks, Mary Queen of Scots.

Wow, MKV would freeze "half way" loading disk, no Asus drive activity light but constant C: drive activity. Computer had to be hard booted as restart had no effect and no response from MakeMKV program. After second lock up, I was thinking Asus laser heads had failed in the 4k mode, no errors of any kind shown. On third restart all was working again. Disk was read and waiting to start back up. However C: drive activity flashing as if MakeMKV or other program busy, in the background, before backup actually started.

Ejected disk, restated MakeMKV…yep C:drive light showing constant activity. Quit Mkv and activity stops. Did not spot anything with Task Manager, Normal?

No idea what just occurred but never had desktop locked up as this. Anyone else?

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.02
Serial number: M65J598xxxx
Firmware date: 2117-11-24 14:13
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 3.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Disc is being loaded.................program will not respond.
MartyMcNuts

Re: Strange Days...BW-16D1HT

Post by MartyMcNuts »

LG-BDNU40 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:42 pm
My BW-16D1HT has worked fine, but not used for last few months. Updated MakeMKV today then tried to make a back-up of one of my 4K disks, Mary Queen of Scots.

Wow, MKV would freeze "half way" loading disk, no Asus drive activity light but constant C: drive activity. Computer had to be hard booted as restart had no effect and no response from MakeMKV program. After second lock up, I was thinking Asus laser heads had failed in the 4k mode, no errors of any kind shown. On third restart all was working again. Disk was read and waiting to start back up. However C: drive activity flashing as if MakeMKV or other program busy, in the background, before backup actually started.

Ejected disk, restated MakeMKV…yep C:drive light showing constant activity. Quit Mkv and activity stops. Did not spot anything with Task Manager, Normal?

No idea what just occurred but never had desktop locked up as this. Anyone else?

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.02
Serial number: M65J598xxxx
Firmware date: 2117-11-24 14:13
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 3.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Disc is being loaded.................program will not respond.
Try going back to older version of MakeMKV. I'm still on 1.15.2 and don't have any drive issues.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
LG-BDNU40

Post by LG-BDNU40 »

Installed MakeMKV_v1.16.4 today...SAME issues as previous install. No response from the Asus drive eject button. Restarts taking two minutes; after third shut down all working fine and ripping as I type this. Last two updates, yipes, all older updates no problem. This is a 6 core AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor using 16 gigs ram. Anyone having issues running Malwarebytes with mkv installs?. Nothing else installed, this year has had fights with DVD drive. Several "Warning 7/18/2021 7:17:04 PM storahci 129" events were posted during install and restarts. :?:
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

LG-BDNU40 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 am
Several "Warning 7/18/2021 7:17:04 PM storahci 129" events were posted during install and restarts. :?:
When I searched for "storahci 129 error windows 10" the results seemed to indicate a problem with folk's computers that was deeper than a user program. I couldn't say what's happening in your case but those 129 events seem important.
rblood01

Post by rblood01 »

LG-BDNU40 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 am
Installed MakeMKV_v1.16.4 today...SAME issues as previous install. No response from the Asus drive eject button. Restarts taking two minutes; after third shut down all working fine and ripping as I type this. Last two updates, yipes, all older updates no problem. This is a 6 core AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor using 16 gigs ram. Anyone having issues running Malwarebytes with mkv installs?. Nothing else installed, this year has had fights with DVD drive. Several "Warning 7/18/2021 7:17:04 PM storahci 129" events were posted during install and restarts. :?:
Sounds like a driver issue in your computer. Make sure your drivers are updated. perhaps even uninstall and get fresh drivers.

You can also use Windows SFC scan to make sure all your Windows components are up to date and proper. (provided you are using Windows 10, not sure if it works on previous Windows)There are good guides on how to do this on Google. You can also use DISM in Windows. (to also help with more deeper possible problems with Windows) Again Google has guides to this process. It is a bit tech involved.

The problem can also be your actual hardware. Something wrong with the device. I have had issues like this on some hardware. How long have you used it, how much have you used it. Is it been awhile, or heavily used ? Might be time to get a new one. My previous Asus drive would constantly seek and required several re-boots before it "caught" to be able to work for me. The above didn't fix it. My time was valuable so I didn't go further. However, perhaps consider upgrading this devices firmware to the advised version. As a last resort.

Anyway that is what I'd do if I was in your situation (barring testing the system with another similar drive to see if it was the drive vs the system vs MakeMKV version. ;) ) One of the reasons I now have 4 drives that are MakeMKV compliant. Didn't add that to the list of tests to try as I suspect if you had another drive to use / test you'd already have done that and reported it

Anyway, best of luck.
snake_plissken

Post by snake_plissken »

Hey,

i have the same drive BW-16D1HT (built in 2017 with FW 3.00). I used it now for 3,5 years without any problems. The drive is built in an Icy Box 5,25 enclosure with USB 3.0. Never had any issues as i said.

Suddenly it cant read any disks. It is recognized by Windows 10 and MakeMKV as working everything fine.
If i put a disc in both say "no disk". The drive does spins up and trys to read 3 or 4 times then stops.

I flashed it like described in the forum here and tried FW 3.10 and FW 3.01. It didnt change anything. Problem stayed the same "no disc".

Then i disassabled it and cleand the Lasers with Isopropanol. Still no disc can be read.

Is there anything else i can do!? Or do you think its an hardware issue so i will have to buy a new drive?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Greetings and thanks for all the exceptional work!

By the way i foudn this loose in the disk drive. See attached picture.
Attachments
20210726_200634.jpg
20210726_200634.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 6842 times
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Sorry! The laser is dead. You need a new drive.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

snake_plissken wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:08 pm
Hey,

i have the same drive BW-16D1HT (built in 2017 with FW 3.00). I used it now for 3,5 years without any problems. The drive is built in an Icy Box 5,25 enclosure with USB 3.0. Never had any issues as i said.

Suddenly it cant read any disks. It is recognized by Windows 10 and MakeMKV as working everything fine.
If i put a disc in both say "no disk". The drive does spins up and trys to read 3 or 4 times then stops.

I flashed it like described in the forum here and tried FW 3.10 and FW 3.01. It didnt change anything. Problem stayed the same "no disc".

Then i disassabled it and cleand the Lasers with Isopropanol. Still no disc can be read.

Is there anything else i can do!? Or do you think its an hardware issue so i will have to buy a new drive?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Greetings and thanks for all the exceptional work!

By the way i foudn this loose in the disk drive. See attached picture.
Sounds exactly like my drive, got stuck reading a disc at 6666.08 and just sat there doing nothing. So I ejected cleaned the disc and tried again and it went read any disc now.

It’s dead time to but a new one. Think I will buy one pre-flashed from one of the sellers here.